Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

2 members and 32 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Still workin on new cooker

Seems like forever since I started this cooker.I think it was late september after the loss of my clone.I was hoping to buy one of these but with the economy being so crappy and the wifes job status not so good I just said the heck with it and started makin parts.It is a kinda sorta clone of a Stumps platinum model.I still have a ways to go but my boss let me bring her to work to speed up the process.Currently she has a stall in the shop all to herself with a dedicated crane for moving her around.Hope to finish in the next couple weeks.
    Attached Images

Nice work Coz! Can't wait to see it finished.

What is the purpose of the widening chute?

Some times with the square tube chutes there may be what is called a brige which is where the charcoal gets wedged and pinched together and doesnt slide down the chute like it should.I was talking with a fella from Minnesota at a comp 2 years ago who had such an event happen.He had the ash door open and was pounding with a steel fence post and when it broke loose he was standing in front of the ash box and recieved some very very serious burns on his legs.It was at that point when I decided no more straight chutes for me.I have not seen how Stump is doing his now but this is what I came up with.The wall of the chute that is closest to the cook chamber is the only straight wall ,all of the others taper away from that one.

Very nice looking build.
    Jim

Looks great! Sounds like you have a good idea. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bringin' The Heat View Post
    Some times with the square tube chutes there may be what is called a brige which is where the charcoal gets wedged and pinched together and doesnt slide down the chute like it should.I was talking with a fella from Minnesota at a comp 2 years ago who had such an event happen.He had the ash door open and was pounding with a steel fence post and when it broke loose he was standing in front of the ash box and recieved some very very serious burns on his legs.It was at that point when I decided no more straight chutes for me.I have not seen how Stump is doing his now but this is what I came up with.The wall of the chute that is closest to the cook chamber is the only straight wall ,all of the others taper away from that one.
    I have high regardsfor a man that thinks and plans!

I dont make any claims to have any original ideas or thoughts on these cookers I build for myself.I just listen to what others have said and done and try to adapt them for my self.I have the highest regards for the Stumps and Backwoods ,Spicewine originators for the stones it takes to do what they do especially in todays economy.

Here is a pic of the unit with the food grate frames in the Stainless expanded should get sheared monday and then I can weld them in to the frames.I like to use stainless for the grates even though its painfully expensive.I could have done the grates in steel for 1/4 of what the stainless was but I think being easier to clean up in the long run is worth the price.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bringin' The Heat View Post
    I dont make any claims to have any original ideas or thoughts on these cookers I build for myself.I just listen to what others have said and done and try to adapt them for my self.I have the highest regards for the Stumps and Backwoods ,Spicewine originators for the stones it takes to do what they do especially in todays economy.
    Funny thing, the BW factory tells me they are taking more orders for top end units that ever before.

I read a lot of forums and it sure appears that the boys are buying lots of cookers yet.I think that Stumps is quite busy also.It looks to me that if your winning in the comps that your products are going to keep moving.I have several friends that use BWs.in fact one was the winner of the upgraded Party for the drawing for those who compete with BWs.I used another friends BWs at the Royal Invitational last fall.They are nice units.I wish I would have had the time to practice with them before the event.He Had a Party and one of the little ones.I am used to cooking large cuts on Butts and Brisket and it didnt quite work out with the way he usually does things.I did get 23rd in Chicken in the Invitational but did very poorly in the rest of the categories.I think I just overloaded the Party and messed up the airflow.
    Last edited by Bringin' The Heat; 02-22-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast