usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

8 members and 20 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TwoLoose Screws CTO

here is a couple of the gasser we use for the business, the first set is a Ole Hickory CTO

Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

This the Ole hickory EL-EDx 75 sq ft of grate space. These are some pictures from a Operation BBQ cook
    at Fort Lewis for the Stirker Brigade home coming from Iraq.

Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Nice smokers
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post
    Nice smokers
    Gotta have one Mike?

Jim, can you give us some perspective on the size of the CTO?

Also, was the one picture from an Ole Hickory convention?

Man, that's a lot of Ole Hickories!

Have you ever cooked on a Southern Pride? Most of the Q joints around here use them as opposed to the Ole Hickories.

Spose that's just a regional thing, or are there differences that make one preferable over the other?

The CTO has just short of 20 sq ft of grate space, gas feed with a log burner for smoke. Convection fan moves smoke and heat. Will cook from 140 to a top end of 325 degrees. It does have a hot spot on top grate.

The larger units are two 60 sq ft grate units and one with 75 sq ft, all rotisseire cookers. Heat supplied from back with log burner to control smoke, two convection fans. The larger unit has smoke evacuator and 150 degree hot hold function.

With the larger units no worry about hot spots, and I find yields about 15% higher than other cookers, with that and being able to do 216 racks of spares at time it comes in handy.

Picked Ole Hickory after checking on what it takes to repair them. I can get a lot of the parts in an auto part store, wasn't the case with Southern Pride. Also if you look at frames and some of the heavier metal parts are thicker material.

I would not feel bad about owing a Southern Pride.

PS: those three cookers, in 24 hours, a friend and myself did butts, briskets, chicken and ribs for 6000 for the Striker Brigade in Sept.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by jminion View Post
    The CTO has just short of 20 sq ft of grate space, gas feed with a log burner for smoke. Convection fan moves smoke and heat. Will cook from 140 to a top end of 325 degrees. It does have a hot spot on top grate.

The larger units are two 60 sq ft grate units and one with 75 sq ft, all rotisseire cookers. Heat supplied from back with log burner to control smoke, two convection fans. The larger unit has smoke evacuator and 150 degree hot hold function.

With the larger units no worry about hot spots, and I find yields about 15% higher than other cookers, with that and being able to do 216 racks of spares at time it comes in handy.

Picked Ole Hickory after checking on what it takes to repair them. I can get a lot of the parts in an auto part store, wasn't the case with Southern Pride. Also if you look at frames and some of the heavier metal parts are thicker material.

I would not feel bad about owing a Southern Pride.

PS: those three cookers, in 24 hours, a friend and myself did butts, briskets, chicken and ribs for 6000 for the Striker Brigade in Sept.

Thank you for Your service sir!

So for the purpose of perspective, what are the approximate dimensions of the grates in the CTO?

Are the southern Prides about the same price? I was thinking that if one way building one into a Q Joint as opposed to a mobile unit, the thicker meat might not really matter.

I sure did like Robert's.

There are 4 26 2/2" X 26 1/2" grates in the CTO>

Ole Hickory runs more money but I felt it was worth it.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

That makes it a lot bigger unit than it looks.

As to the southern Prides being cheaper, I suppose that supports the theory that i expressed earlier. I'm not a price buyer either.

Aside from look'n at some very nice smokers......what you did for those men and women is fantastic.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    Aside from look'n at some very nice smokers......what you did for those men and women is fantastic.
    It was part of Operation BBQ program, we find companys the donate all the food for the troops and we give our time and equipment to say thanks to the troops. If you have a base in your area that has troops either leaving or returning from a deployment it's a great opportunity.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast