» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 49

0 members and 49 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default TEST-KitchenAid Stand Mixer as Meat Mixer

I posed a question asking if a stand mixer, specifically my new KA Pro 600, would make an efficient meat mixer. The replies were less than favorable, for a number of unfounded and untested reasons. So I decided to take my chances with 10 lbs of pork butt and 1 lb of cheese and try it myself.
    I made cheddar brats, and will post my results here.
    I am including 2 videos as well as a couple of pics. This is my first time uploading videos, so be nice to me, as I'm no pro.

Here's what I had after grinding about a 10 1/2 lb pork butt.

As a side note, if any of you have seen and questioned these EZ grind attachments, my review goes like this: Absolutely awesome, well worth the 50 bucks. With my little Dewalt drill, it takes about 3 minutes to grind 10 lbs, and the drill never slows down. The grinder is a 20 dollar #10 cheapo Chinese Walmart job.

Here I start with my ground butt and added spices, no water in this test. Wanted to see how it would do dry. After grinding, this weighed at 10 lbs exactly. After about 40 secs the seasoning seemed fairly well incorporated.

This is after adding 1 lb of cheese. This is too much for the 6 qt capacity of this bowl, but all in all it turned out pretty well.

Here is the pork after mixing with the KA. Looks pretty decent.

First run in natural casing. Notice how I tie the ends. If you don't over stuff, you can twist off your links afterwords. Natural casings are pretty forgiving. I wouldn't attempt this with collagen.

This is after about 1/2 hour of drying, then I cut with scissors right in the middle of the twist. You can see how well the casing holds it's rounded shape on the end. And this will hold well for grilling, smoking, frying, and boiling.

These are the "oddballs" that didn't make it into the freezer. Browned in a cast iron skillet, then simmered in white grape juice and chicken stock, then re-browned.
    FANTASTIC!!!!
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 02-21-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    Tom

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

I think they look good enough to eat. Send some my way.
    Oscar

3 UDS, Treager pellet pooper

The brats look great Tom. Looks like the Kitchen Aide did fine. Thanks for the videos and pics. I'm gonna get one of those grinders next trip to town.

Looks like the mixer worked out just fine.

Thanks for the pics and the vids with the step by step
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

The links look great, glad it worked for you.
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Gunslinger
    When the ground meat gets too warm you creat a condition that the fat starts to smear. My suggestion would be to put the ground meat into the freezer long enough to get it fat real cold. When you get fat smear the texture changes and you will find it is easier to mix very cold.

The same thing holds true when you are grinding or stuffing the meat if it is too warm you get fat smear, your freezer and cold days are your friend.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by jminion View Post
    Gunslinger
    When the ground meat gets too warm you creat a condition that the fat starts to smear. My suggestion would be to put the ground meat into the freezer long enough to get it fat real cold. When you get fat smear the texture changes and you will find it is easier to mix very cold.

The same thing holds true when you are grinding or stuffing the meat if it is too warm you get fat smear, your freezer and cold days are your friend.
    I ran this test without ice water and without holding the meat in the freezer for a while. I thought next time I would try it with colder meat, ice water, and freezing the dough hook and bowl.
    Normally I freeze everything anyway (grinder and grinder parts, stuffer and tubes, etc.)

I have been making sausages for years, mixing by hand, and always planned to purchase a meat mixer. I will only use this KA when making small batches, otherwise it's back to the hands until I get a meat mixer.

Next weekend, I'll be doing 125 lbs of ground deer for snack sticks. I'll post a video tutorial of it when it's done. Even if I had a meat mixer, I had planned on doing this particular video with low cost methods to show newbies that you don't have to spend a fortune on equipment to make great sausages.
    Tom

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

Understand, sausage mixers can be expensive here is one that is not priced to bad http://www.sausagemaker.com/ProductI...tID=875&Page=1

This style of mixers work better than stand mixers.

Other units can easily run ten time more but they would be powered units with larger batch weights capabilities.

There is a local spice company that mixes my rubs for me and they let me use their mixer (can do 125 pounds at a time). It's only a few miles from my home but it saves hours of mix time and easier on your hands when doing larger batches.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Looks good, Tom. I'm glad you found the answers you were looking for. Those links look great!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Thanks for share'n that Tom! Great vids & pics. Those sure look good. It would be easier to help you out if you could send some samples, too.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.