Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

1 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pending on size 6-8 hrs at around 250-260 for us. We foil around 175IT or so and up to 205 for pulling. Last butt sliced was brought to 180 and took out and rested. We foiled it at around 165 or so.

I believe different strokes, different folks I guess. I was a die hard 225 man for awhile, till I started pickin up some tips and compared flavors and such.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

I cook at 235 to 260 till done, not a fan of foil because it doesn't give me the bark I'm looking for. I pull butts off the cooker at 190 to 195 internal wrap in foil at this time and they go into a dry cooler to continue tenderizing but because I'm not applying heat they don't dry out.

One thing to consider if you are cooking at very low pit temps for long periods of time and these are boneless butts that you roll up, the interior has been exposed to bacteria, at these very low pit temps that bacteria is multiplying until you get the internal over 140. After the interal temp goes over 140 the bacteria dies but that dead bacteria is toxic and cause problems for the old, very young or folks that have immune systems problems.
    If your cooking bone-in butts you need not worry about it.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Just to add more to the conversation - I have heard alot of guys trimming their butts for comps to 'maximize' the money muscle...I personally have not done it nor would I know how to - you guys?
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Quote Originally Posted by jminion View Post
    One thing to consider if you are cooking at very low pit temps for long periods of time and these are boneless butts that you roll up, the interior has been exposed to bacteria, at these very low pit temps that bacteria is multiplying until you get the internal over 140. After the interal temp goes over 140 the bacteria dies but that dead bacteria is toxic and cause problems for the old, very young or folks that have immune systems problems.
    If your cooking bone-in butts you need not worry about it.
    Actually you make some good points but my butts really don't take a lot longer to reach 140. Remmeber heat transfer happens on a sliding scale of the cooler the heats target, the faster it transfers. That's why the plateau to finish takes so long. Then consider killing badies is more a matter of time at temperature and my butts are over 160, which is a safe pork temp, for way more than 12 hours (if I'm remembering correctly). So I don't worry about the bad stuff; my butts are sterilized by the time their done.

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post
    Just to add more to the conversation - I have heard alot of guys trimming their butts for comps to 'maximize' the money muscle...I personally have not done it nor would I know how to - you guys?
    My thinking is why trim off good pork fat basting?

Different strokes. I don't like to trim, I like to cut thru the fat(not meat) in a X fashion and rub the .....rub into the cracks. Just my way is all.

I am also a big fan of fat down if the heat is from the bottom.........but.........we've all been thru that debate before.

One nice thing about this "hobbie" is that there are so many ways to "skin a hog", and they all yield.....good eats. Ya find your way, master it, and tell others how to do it.......and they do the same.

All Q is good Q........except A. Bryants on the w. side of KC.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Bill View Post
    The 210 evolved from starting butts at 7 PM and having the pit on the Stoker. Go to bed and forget it till morning for sure at that temp. I got good results and kept doing them that way and the rest is history. I would like an 8 hour cook temp though; I know I've done it in the past and frankly the results aren't much different at all.
    As long as you understand that, do it the way that makes you the happiest!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post

That's why they don't have a blue ribbon.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Bill View Post
    Actually you make some good points but my butts really don't take a lot longer to reach 140. Remmeber heat transfer happens on a sliding scale of the cooler the heats target, the faster it transfers. That's why the plateau to finish takes so long. Then consider killing badies is more a matter of time at temperature and my butts are over 160, which is a safe pork temp, for way more than 12 hours (if I'm remembering correctly). So I don't worry about the bad stuff; my butts are sterilized by the time their done.
    My point is that if it is boned butts and the interior is exposed to bacteria then the time it takes to get from 40 to 140 internal degrees is the critical time and temp factor. Anything over four hours is too long. Yes you have killed all the bacteria once over that 140 mark but the longer the internal temp was in the danger zone the more bacteria was produced. That bacteria when it dies it becomes toxic and that is what makes people sick. It is the quanity of bacteria produced and becomes toxic when dead that determines just how healthy the product is to eat.

With the catering company I just won't take the chance that boneless butt would be in the 40 to 140 zone for long. Insurance is to costly to ever have to use it, let a lone your reputation.

The stall is caused by connective tissue breaking down and releasing it's moisture, as more tissue breaks down the internal can stall or even lower a degree or two during the process. As most of the connective tissue has broken down the internal starts climbing again.
    Last edited by jminion; 02-20-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    Different strokes. I don't like to trim, I like to cut thru the fat(not meat) in a X fashion and rub the .....rub into the cracks. Just my way is all.
    I tried smokin em fat side down and when they were done, I found a pile of diamond shaped pieces of fat on the bottom of the smoker and thought, what a waste of good pork fat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
    As long as you understand that, do it the way that makes you the happiest!
    I'm just looking for a faster way fir when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by jminion View Post
    My point is that if it is boned butts and the interior is exposed to bacteria With the catering company I just won't take the chance that boneless butt would be in the 40 to 140 zone for long. Insurance is to costly to ever have to use it, let a lone your reputation.
    I don't blame you, cooking for the public is risky business. My attorney even told me that if you really want to be safe, don't even cook for your neighbor for free unless you get a release signed. Too many lawyers enticing too many greedy carer victims.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast