usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 21

4 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I usually smoke pork butts at 240 - 260 In the UDS or the Spicewine with good results. But having said that, lately I have been doing some hot and fast cooks in the Spicewine ( not sure how well it would work in a UDS, but I may try it, I think it would require a lot of turning to keep from burning the meat with the direct heat ) and the results have been very good. Hot and fast is cooking at 350 and foiling after internal temp hits 165 or some go by time of around 3 hours. Cook time is around ( depending on weight of butts ) 4 - 5 hours. I had my doubts at first, but it does work very well. Takes a little getting used to, but worth learning in case you run into a time constraint. Might be why some of the top comp. teams are doing their butts and briskets this way.
    Just another technique to add to the arsenal if needed.
    Jim

Interesting thread. I used to do them at 225-235 in the offset. When I got the Lang, I started playing with temps more. I do them at 235-275 now. I like the bark better and I can do 10-12 butts in the 60 and have them all done at around 9-10 hrs. Every once in a while I'll get a stubborn one that'll go 11 hrs. That system seems to work the best for me. Briskets and chuck rolls/shoulder clods the same. I do my ribs a lil lower 225-245.
    The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Quote Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
    I usually smoke pork butts at 240 - 260 In the UDS or the Spicewine with good results. But having said that, lately I have been doing some hot and fast cooks in the Spicewine ( not sure how well it would work in a UDS, but I may try it, I think it would require a lot of turning to keep from burning the meat with the direct heat ) and the results have been very good. Hot and fast is cooking at 350 and foiling after internal temp hits 165 or some go by time of around 3 hours. Cook time is around ( depending on weight of butts ) 4 - 5 hours. I had my doubts at first, but it does work very well. Takes a little getting used to, but worth learning in case you run into a time constraint. Might be why some of the top comp. teams are doing their butts and briskets this way.
    Just another technique to add to the arsenal if needed.
    Hot and fast is a technique used by some very fine cooks and is winning a number of contests. Myron Mixon of Jacks Old South, one of the best pork cooks in the country uses that technique.
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

This did turn out to be a very good and interesting thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

We're not done yet. The best pulled pork I ever had occured by accident. I had good intentions of staying up all night tending the fire. About 1 am I decided I had enough. So, I wrapped the butt in foil with a little applejuice and threw it in a 250 degree oven overnight. I removed it in the morning, wrapped the foiled butt in towels and waited until serving time. It was falling off the bone. INCREDIBLE! So, that's close to my usual routine now. I give the butt 4 or 5 hours of good smoke, wrap it in foil then finish in the oven. I hate to say it but I don't take temps. About 10-12 hours total and I'm done. Give it a try and see what happens. See my thread today in the pork forum. Good luck finding something that works for you. Be sure to post pics of what you are doing. Cya, Greg
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

For me, I've done PP at 225 and 325. IMO, there wasn't a big difference in the final product. The high-temp coooked faster and had a little more unrendered fat and connective tissue, but that was about it.

As for final internal temp, I go to 195-200. Usually though, I do the probe test. If the temp probe slides in without a lot of resistance, it's done.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    I'm no cook, but I play one at home, but I like to do them at 225 the whole time and foil at about 165-175. Then I pull them off the smoker and let rest, pull and put into big alum foil pans and in the fridge. Next day(or when it is to be eaten) I put back on the smoker at 200-225 and add more rub and apple cider vinegar and smoke it again untill hot and the right taste. You can get your rub all over the meat instead of just the outside, get more smoke taste, and the "twang" of the a.c.vinegar is like have'n bbq sauce on it. Every 30-45min I go out, mix and taste(), and add what is needed. By the time it's done, about 2-3hrs, I'm full and it tastes great. While it's warm'n up you can also be make'n slaw, Dutchs beans, and toast'n some buns.

Thats the "right" way to do it........Well, for us anyway.

I've also got a good way to make "burnt ends" off a packer brisket using the point......thats another thread.

BTW, usually 1.5 hrs/#, plus the "re-smoke".

Sounds like a great way to go. We used to go a bbq restaurant in North Carolina that serves a bbq "sauce" that consists of apple cider vinegar and fine black pepper. I've been using it ever since. I just mix the two together in a plastic shaker bottle and sprinkle it on each serving and enjoy a good vinegar based slaw with it.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    I'm no cook, but I play one at home, but I like to do them at 225 the whole time and foil at about 165-175. Then I pull them off the smoker and let rest, pull and put into big alum foil pans and in the fridge. Next day(or when it is to be eaten) I put back on the smoker at 200-225 and add more rub and apple cider vinegar and smoke it again untill hot and the right taste. You can get your rub all over the meat instead of just the outside, get more smoke taste, and the "twang" of the a.c.vinegar is like have'n bbq sauce on it. Every 30-45min I go out, mix and taste(), and add what is needed. By the time it's done, about 2-3hrs, I'm full and it tastes great. While it's warm'n up you can also be make'n slaw, Dutchs beans, and toast'n some buns.

Thats the "right" way to do it........Well, for us anyway.

I've also got a good way to make "burnt ends" off a packer brisket using the point......thats another thread.

BTW, usually 1.5 hrs/#, plus the "re-smoke".
    sounds awesome, i like the idea of pulling it, re-rubbing it and then re-smoking it....i usually go to IT of 190-195, ac vinegar it, wrap it and throw it back on the smoker for an hr or so. pretty good luck with that technique so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Butt Lover's View Post
    Just to add more to the conversation - I have heard alot of guys trimming their butts for comps to 'maximize' the money muscle...I personally have not done it nor would I know how to - you guys?
    Yes. I trim ours so that the money is attached but way exposed. That gets pulled at 190. The rest of that butt becomes chopped for the bottom of the box. Until next year when the parting rules change.

As for how I cook. I aim for 250 I wrap when the meats around 140. Cruises right thru he stall and I pull and rest for about 2 hours when IT is 195. I pill and reason with our rub that has Been ground and some thinned out sauce. Including the rest time, 10 hours total cook every time. I shoot for 8# hunks o meat
    "BoB" a leaky Offset Stickburner
    Backwoods G2 Party and G2 Chubby
    UDS

I rub mine with kosher salt get the pit to 300 through it on and chuck wood until the bone wiggles loose. There is no stall cook time averages 50 min lb. or I wrap it in foil after a few hrs and go until it's probe tender. Rest 1hr slip out the built in cleaver / pop out timer(Bone) and chop it up pour the juicy goodness over the top an the rest is history.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast