Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 32

5 members and 27 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project!

Nice work
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Default Yes! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    My god....are you gona need to put lights on that stack for the airplanes?
    Just messing with ya....that looks nice, I like the toggle clamps on the firebox. Really nice design. What made you go with a standard set-up over reverse flow?
    The stack is really two 2' pieces of 6" schedule 20 and schedule 40 pipe. The od`s are the same so I welded them together and installed them and forgot about it. As a rational lie I thought well that will get the smoke out of my eyes. LOL. It is amazing what excuses I can come up with when I am in a hurry! LOL

Seriously. If the draw is too much I will cut it off. I have tried several ideas from every pit that I have ever seen. The combination of ideas will no doubt need to be modified so I thought after some trial runs I would modify as needed.

I went with the conventional set up as was recommended by James M. Jones, Waxahachie, Texas

He has built several more than I have and it is also basically the same design as the Oklahoma Joe tradition.

I do have a 6' by 30" .375 wall pipe that I am going to use for a reverse flow smoker. I also think that there is just not enough space inside a 20" pipe for a reverse flow set-up. Thats my story! LOL
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

That's looking really nice and good work on the doors

Joe

Default I am not familiar with this term?

[quote=SmokyOkie;29197]Great looking rig Jerry! with the 2 door design, had you given any though to installing a small permanent salamander rack about 5 or 6" form the top right in the middle?
    quote]

I have installed some angle iron to hold the cooking grates at the center line of the cooking chamber. I have been considering adding some additional shelves at 2" spacing then I would have some options as to where to cook based on the size of the meats. This is of course a lot of work because of the small chamber and the curve of the tube. Right now I juist want to get the first fire done so I have some idea of what might be best. I installed 10" of the fire box into the cooking chamber so that I could add a water pan if I wanted. Also I though about putting some fire brick over the fire box as a place for cooking Pizzas or beans. I just don`t know how hot the spot will be and if I will need to make some addition to even the heat through out the cooking chamber. I need to get the first fire so that I know how to finish up this stage. Modifications will most likely go on for as long as I own it. LOL

Is the above what you were asking about? If not I am listening!!

I also am thinking about adding some insulation to the bottom of the fire box. I left room for fire brick splits in the bottom, but now think that a steel bottom would be cleaner and easier to keep clean.

I am also thinking about adding a vertical smoker-warmer over the fire box. Similar to the Lang. What is your opinion on the fuctionabliity of this option? Also does anyone have any pictures of how Lang diverts fire box heat or does he?
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ

Default I have been using an engine hoist! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Look lookin rig Jerry, I would be proud!!

You going to make that thing mobil or permanent? Got to have a forktruck to move er around!! Looks like she could be a lil heavy in the back side, just like I like em. Ok, thats all, avoid the BOTB.
    I have rebuilt an 8' trailer for mounting this cooker on. In the pictures you will note that I put a fold down loop of 5/8" rod for picking it up. This is placed at the center of gravity so it will pick-up even. This took several tries to get right.

I was surprised at how much work was involved with getting the door stops placed right. The door stops/supports latch by gravity. Pretty simple concept but getting the geometry right took the better part of 4 hours.

I am very please with the out come so far. Lots of details but that is what really makes the difference.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ

The Langs that I have seen allow for heat from the firebox to the warming oven which is not a bad idea for preheating logs IMHO.

What I'm tlaking about it having a small rack near the top of the smoke oven that is fixed in position so that you have a hot zone for setting glazes, or anything else that you want a higher temp for.

If you're using the Ok joe's type offset design, you might want to consider a 1/2" x 12" baffle plate right where the fire comes into the oven. You can place a SS steamtable pan of water there to function as a heat sink. If you do that, and everything else is right, you should be able to maintain even temps within 10 or so across from side to side and front to back.

Default Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe BBQ View Post
    That's looking really nice and good work on the doors

Joe
    I added some PFE teflon washers and the springs and that really makes the doors smooth as silk! I know the washers are good with the heat. I heated the hinges up with the cutting torch till they were red and still worked great. The springs are stainless steel. Hard to find item, but really worth the effort.

The doors were a lot of work. I installed the hinges 3 times before I got them right. Won`t be that much work next time. I learned a lot on those. LOL

The Door stops really work slick as well. Gravity catch so that is pretty much automatic. Lots cheaper that gas springs. the doors aren`t that heavy.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ

thats gonna be a beauty, looks fantastic, keep us posted
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

jerry, that thing looks great! looks like youve been doin this for more than a day or two

bbq grillware gasser
    cheap no name hand-me-down square grill
    brinkmann electric smoker
    beefmaster explorer table top gas grill

GEAUX SAINTS!!

Yes, I plan to add an additional rack.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast