Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

4 members and 26 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Gas or Wood Smoker or both?

I see a lot of people asking questions about Gas vs Wood and so on and I have a friend who is starting a new build with an EZ-smoke? I don't know much about them but this is their website I hope this helps. gassmoker.com

I might even try using this in my new build?

Joe

Yeah...I think somebody here has an afterburner on their cg or something similar....can't remamber who atm.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I have an Afterburner on my SnP and I love it.

I got it last June and it works very well. The nice thing about it is you can take it out in a matter of minutes if you want to use (in my case) charcoal.

For me originally it was a matter of convenience. I was having a hard time with the charcoal and wanted to concentrate more on cooking than tending the fire. I did a brisket last November that was on for 17 hours in the 240ish range. The Afterburner was running the whole time, never missed a beat, had plenty of fuel left over at the end. I also did some jerky with the burner as low as it would go and still stay lit and it held about 140 but started creeping up towards the end.

Since then I built a UDS and learned a bit more about charcoal so I may entertain the notion of doing a charcoal fired cook in the SnP. For jerky though, the Afterburner is great. When you want the smoke to stop, just take the can out and you get straight heat. And you cannot beat the customer sevice. Ed at Gassmoker.com is really a great guy.

Dave

I have gas plumbed in my firebox, on my offset to get the wood lit quick , but for my charcoal cooker I always just light a chimney full of charcoal..
    Custom R&O Offset....Get ya one...
    Hook Em Horns!

Excellent thanks for the feedback. I was also thinking of just using it when I didn't have time to tend the fire. Have you had any issues with it? I’ve heard that they are simple and last for years and years? The idea of having control of the temperature is another selling point for me because to be honest I have a larger Traeger and it spoiled me, but I would like to build my trailer unit with the propane as an option.

I might even build my new trailer BBQ with an offset that I can run Charcoal and wood and the cooking area I could put the propane heat and still have the option of having a regular gas BBQ? Just thinking of the build I don’t have anything on paper yet.

Thanks,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe BBQ View Post
    Have you had any issues with it? Iíve heard that they are simple and last for years and years?
    The only issue I had with it was not caused by the Afterburner, it was caused by me. I had problems with it going out from time to time even with no wind and with the flame up pretty high. I was having a hell of a time figuring out what was going on. Ed was a great help talking me through adjusting the air slider just right and looking at the pictures I was emailing him to try and diagnose the flame.

Turns out the problem was me. When I set up my tuning plates I actually had too many and not enough gaps between them.

I blocked so much of the cook chamber that it was messing with the draft and the burner was starving for air. Once I removed the smallest plate and spread the gaps out, problem solved. Like I said, it ran 18 hours during a brisket smoke and never sputtered once.

They are built very sturdily and are a pretty simple desgn and they work great!!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I think I will add this to my system I’m going to build. All I’m doing at the moment is stocking up on pipe, tanks, motors and anything else I can get my hands on along with knowledge! This website is awesome; when I start my build I will take lots of pictures and post them.

Thanks again,

Joe

You are most welcome.

Glad I could help.

Enjoy your build and post lots of pics!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DDave View Post
    You are most welcome.

Glad I could help.

Enjoy your build and post lots of pics!!

Dave
    I have one in my converted refrigerator. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by denzim View Post
    I have one in my converted refrigerator. Works great!
    do show, you got pics, hmmmm got me intrested
    denzim you introduce yourself yet, tell us about yourself if you have not, i don't remember seeing ya yet, sorry if you have
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner