» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 36

0 members and 36 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Thread: SB Shrimp

Default SB Shrimp

Well, for the game tonight it sounds like the usual........w/less beef/pork. Groc didn't have artichokes that looked worth a hoot, and the kids want shrimp. So, just some nachos(pretty plain as the kids don't like "stuff" on their nachos), cucumbers plain and in vinegar, and plenty of shrimp.

For the shrimp, we have some U12's and some 21-30's(if I remember right) frozen/raw/devein'd/shell on. Mostly for shrimp cocktail, but we also like them made similar to mussels provencal, w/beer rather than wine(tasted better to us anyway). They don't want anything w/smoke in it, they are "tired" of smoke.........jerks!

All shrimp I brine, makes a big difference. I use 1/4C k.salt, 1/4C sugar, 1C water, 2C ice; and brine for about 20-30min. (Got this from Alton brown). We have 4#'s so I'll probably boil some, fry some, and "provencal" some. The ones for shrimp cocktail will go in an ice bath to stop the cook'n and cool off for dipp'n in "home-made" cocktail sauce.(I also got from AB).

Cocktail sauce was made last night, and is really good, much better than the store. Its:
    1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained very well
    1/2 C chili sauce
    4 Tbs prepared horseradish sauce
    1tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp each of k.salt, blk pepper
    put in food proc and let it go a bit.

I'm open to other suggestions on the sauce, and shrimp....(wink, wink, nudge, nudge....gulf coast guys/gals)

Here is a vid of mussels provencal, I just use shrimp and beer and celery(can't remember if it's in the vid)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_NiFz15IU

For AB vid, u-tube search Alton brown good eats shrimp cocktail

later
    BTW, I'm not enter'n the comp and if there is anything you want to use here, thats fine w/me. Pointless for me as there won't be any smoke today.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

That sounds like it's gonna be some great eatin' later.

I make a similar cocktail sauce but use tomato puree instead of diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup of chili sauce, 2 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce, 1 clove of garlic ( squeezed through a garlic press ), 2 Tbls. of lemon or lime juice, a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce, 4-5 Tbls. of ground horseradish ( not prepared), and a little salt and pepper. run it in a blender or food processor for a bit.

Those nice big shrimp, we like to grill them basted with a butter, garlic, and lemon or lime juice baste.
    Jim