» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

0 members and 30 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jane, where are you??

Come on Jane, let's share your wonderful smoked cheese recipie. We sure enjoyed it last year.
    Walt.

Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ
    Geer pit by Jambo
    FEC-100
    WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
    KCBS
    CBJ

Die Hard Indians Fan

Sracth my back with a chainsaw.....

SmokyOkie Guest

When I got there the cheese was all gone. Are you the one that ate it all?

Here's what I do:

Dry chips, keep it under 100*, keep smoke thin by covering smoke box if necessary, the longer and thinner you smoke, the better it is.

A couple months in a foodsaver bag in the freezer mellows it out as well.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 01-17-2008 at 10:28 AM.

We smoke it in the Turbo Cold Smoker. 3-4 lit briquettes in the ECB with a handful of wood chips on top. Only time I ever use chips.
    The "Turbo" is the little 12V DC fan from Radio Shack powered by a small converter. Rest came from Lowe's.
    Ain't that ECB a beaut??? 1975.
    Last edited by peculiarmike; 01-18-2008 at 04:08 AM.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Soooooooooweet. I gotta know a little more about this. are there holes in the tub so that the smokepasses thru, or does it just dead end right there. Is the fan temp rated, and how exactly is it powered (more detail).

BTW, were you really still up @ 3:00 am to post this, or do you have your time set wrong in you profile?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Soooooooooweet. I gotta know a little more about this. are there holes in the tub so that the smokepasses thru, or does it just dead end right there. Is the fan temp rated, and how exactly is it powered (more detail).

BTW, were you really still up @ 3:00 am to post this, or do you have your time set wrong in you profile?
    Mike, even though I've saw the set-up up close and personal I still of some questions as well. I have an old ECB that might be up to the task. You ought to post us a more detailed description and pics of the set-up in the Cold Smoking section.
    Chad

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character." T.R.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

BDS-Jumbo Model 2743

WSM- Weber Smokey Mountain w/ mods

Weber Performer

GOSM Big Block 36" gasser

SmokyOkie Guest

Yeah, what he said.

Bud, Jane says she is not the "Head Smoker", just the helper. And she is too busy working and going to school so she can support me and my habits and hobbys.

(Hey, I bring in two checks a month! This retirement thing WORKS! )
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

So I'm still curious how you know when the cheese is done? I'm assuming the answer is....."it depends". So what does it depend on? I'm guessing the 3 obvious are: the kind of wood, the kind of cheese, and the dude eatin it. Any baselines to follow?
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

SmokyOkie Guest

You're right josh, it's totally subjective. Since you're not cooking the cheese, it's all a matter of how smoky you want it.

The only thing I might add is to apply the smoke thinly. In cold smoking creosote plates out very easily on the cold surfaces of the food.

You might look for a good sale on small blocks of generic cheese and experiment. That way you don't lose much if you over smoke it. Fro that matter, if you think it's too smoky, you can always pare off the outer layer and start again.

Also remember that the smoke mellows as the cheese continues to age, so if its too strong at first, it may not be in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    ...clipped...
    You might look for a good sale on small blocks of generic cheese and experiment. That way you don't lose much if you over smoke it. Fro that matter, if you think it's too smoky, you can always pare off the outer layer and start again.

Also remember that the smoke mellows as the cheese continues to age, so if its too strong at first, it may not be in a few days.
    So a couple of questions:
    I might try some colby jack this weekend; smaller blocks as you mentioned. I think I can keep the rig around 100 degrees. What's a good smoke time to start with? I have apple that I can make some small chunks out of, and I think I have a bag of cherry chips. Would either of them sound like a good combo with cheese?

Also, is it a good or bad idea to gently wash the cheese after it's been smoked, just to make sure it doesn't get bitter? I mean, I plan on letting it rest in the fridge overnight, but thought washing might help for a more mellow flavor.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast