Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 50

1 members and 49 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Help with deer meat

recently my dad gave me a small package of deer ribs. ive eaten deer before but never cooked it. well i tried to roast it in the oven with som sweet potatoes, onions, garlic and a mix of herbs. i cant remember everything! the flavor was good and the wife liked it, but the game taste was still very strong. can anyone give me any tips or different cooking methods to resolve this? i was also told to bury the meat in ice overnight. i dont know what that does but ill try it.

thanks in advance

I haven't had any gamey venison. If it's taken care of properly from the kill to the table there should be no wild taste. I have heard that you can soak venison in milk for a couple of hours to sweeten it up, but I've never tried it. Also never tried the ribs. Never figured there was enough meat on them to warrant cooking.
    Keith

I cooked some ribs in a dutch oven once. Like you said their wasn't much meat on them. I think we rub them with rib rub by mccormick. Good flavor just not much meat.

SmokyOkie Guest

What Bassman says is true by my experience. I have had gamy venison though and it was due to poor carcass care. If you break the bladder, it can ruin the whole carcass.

I don't know of anything you can do to help the meat once it is ruined.

I do the ribs cut in half and cook both the back ribs and spares at the smae time. I give them a good bu, then light smoke for about 45 minutes, then foil and finish. Time depends on temp.

A splash of soy based marinade like Allegro is good in the foil too.

I've done deer ribs in the past but it's been such a long time I don't remember the taste being "abnormal". However, I concur with the rest, they don't have much meat on them. As long as they were handled properly, give 'em a good dry rub and smoke them for a few hours and you should be set. Let us know how they turn out.
    Last edited by gt2003; 01-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

i've had really good and really bad venison in the past. the quality usually depends on the hunter (the shot most importantly and the cleaning procedure) and the size and age of the deer. however, i dont think a little "gamey" flavor is the worst thing in the world!

for the tips yall, i dont know where he got the meat from ( dad doesnt hunt anymore) but it could have been mis handled. the wife didnt seem to think it was wild tasting either maybe it was me! and there wasnt a whole lot of meat on them, but they were in my freezer waiting to get cooked! also it wasnt a lot of em so it was good "trial and error". yall have alot of knowledge and experience here in the joint. im glad i found this place.

Same as beef, deer that is aged longer than than a few days (i.e. hangs too long) can develop a "gamy" taste.
    Most folks that eat well aged beef (over 14 days) would call the flavor "gamy." But actually it's very, very beefy flavored. Beef from slaughter house to store is usually aged no longer than 7 days, most often not even that long. Aging it longer tenderizes it and makes it's flavor more rich. Some find this flavor offensive, while others love it.
    Same goes for deer. I try to hang my deer for a week if temperature conditions are favorable. When we have a steer butchered, I request it to hang for 14 days. My processor can't do it any longer because of the volume of beef they handle.
    And an old buck will taste stronger than a young buck or doe, even if processed perfectly. Around here, rib meat goes into burger for deer sticks.
    Tom

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. --Wyatt Earp

Smoker:
    Homebuilt using 150 gallon side water tank from concrete truck.

What I have found that seems to create the "Gamey taste" the most is over cooking! For years it seemed that the deer had a "gamey taste" We have always been very careful when we butchered etc. But since I started cooking it med to med/rare it is way better. Don't know why we overcooked it,don't like my beef that way. Also a young buck or does are better eating too. Never messed with ribs before

Mark

The gamey taste comes from all the parts of the deer that are not red meat. If you trim off every bit of anything white, your deer will not taste gamey.
    Those ribs are full of white fat and grisle. Venison fat will not render when cooked. I toss the ribs or feed them to the dogs.
    Also if you take your meat to the processor it will be gamey because he will not take the time to clean it right. Sorry, camera phone pic.

Here's an example of clean meat from a ham I trimmed up recently.
    Keith