usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 995

3 members and 992 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, Today at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: stumps gravity

Default stumps gravity

Can someone explain the Stumps gravity feed and how it works?? Wheres the fire upside down?? Over ash tray?? Help....Tig

Quote Originally Posted by tigman View Post
    Can someone explain the Stumps gravity feed and how it works?? Wheres the fire upside down?? Over ash tray?? Help....Tig
    I started to type something up, but video is so much better.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

hmmm pretty much what i guessed ..do you dump the lit "starter" coals from the top then fill hopper?? It never burns upward?? how big would you estmate the openings in the bottom of the hopper to be.....And you are trying to get me really excited by sending all of the other videos...LOL Tig

hmmm pretty much what i guessed ..do you dump the lit "starter" coals from the top then fill hopper?? It never burns upward?? how big would you estmate the openings in the bottom of the hopper to be.....And you are trying to get me really excited by sending all of the other videos...LOL Tig
    You can dump a chimey in and then unlit on top of it or just fill it up with unlit and light it with a torch or weed burner or something through the coal grate.

The chute for the coal is approx 4 x 4. It never burns up as long as you keep the lid closed.
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    You can dump a chimey in and then unlit on top of it or just fill it up with unlit and light it with a torch or weed burner or something through the coal grate.

The chute for the coal is approx 4 x 4. It never burns up as long as you keep the lid closed.
    Or drive with a fire still lit in the chute
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Or drive with a fire still lit in the chute

You don't need a fire, just a couple of day old coals.
    FBJ

The charcoal chute is typically 6"x6" (4"x4" would be way too small) and some are slightly tapered outwards near the bottom. This is to help prevent charcoal hangups. The charcoal grate at the bottom is 1/2" dia rods and they are placed approx 1" apart, both ways. The opening into the cooking chamber will vary with the size of cooking chamber. My cooking chamber is 36"x36"x22" and the opening is 3"x5". I hope this helps some of you. As far as lighting the cooker, you can dump in a chimney of lit coals and then fill with unlit OR you can fill with unlit and light from the bottom with a weed burner or some other type of torch.
    Jim B. -
    Cooking on:
    JR Oyler 700 - "Bertha"
    Stumper clone
    Homemade offset c/w2'x5' charcoal grill
    2 WSM's & 2 Weber grills
    BDS clone
    DP clone in progress
    Vermont Castings 5007 grill.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin Jim View Post
    some are slightly tapered outwards near the bottom. This is to help prevent charcoal hangups.
    Definitely do this if you are building one.

I have an older model GF and it is it just a straight shot unlike the newer models. I never had trouble with briqs, but I have to watch some of the piece size of the lump or get the occasional bridge.
    FBJ

Thanks Guys if I can get someone to buy this new backwoods i have here I will be starting a NEW Fab job on a GF style smoker.. where did you guys get the rouxl insulation Jake..jeff

Thanks Guys if I can get someone to buy this new backwoods i have here I will be starting a NEW Fab job on a GF style smoker.. where did you guys get the rouxl insulation Jake..jeff
    Post it in the classifieds and in the swap shop forum.

I'll buy it if you want to sell it below wholesale.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast