» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 45

0 members and 45 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Sterling Silver Premium meats - Got to cook some of the prize

I finally got a chance to cook up the beef portion of the Sterling Silver meat prize. Here is as honest a review as I can give. The good, the bad and the good!

I thawed the steaks in the fridge. When I took them out this evening, there were two of the packages that had been compromised. One of the strip steaks had approximately 1/3 of the seal on the package that had failed. On the two pack of the tenderloin fillets, there were two small holes in the seam that allowed blood to leak out. Now the steaks had been frozen since I received them and the meat had no off-odor, so I cooked 'em and ate 'em.

The steaks were trimmed well. I might have prefered just a bit more trimming on the ribeyes, but that is personal preference. Over all, this is some good looking meat!

Tenderloin fillets, ribeyes and strip steaks. Rinsed under running water and patted dry with paper towels then seasoned with nothing more than course salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Next firing up the grill...
    Last edited by JamesB; 12-23-2008 at 09:53 PM.

I didn't have any lump... So I fired up two chimneys of kingsford. It takes two to get an even base of coals acros this grill.

Coals spread out.

Almost ready.

Really wanted to let the grates heat up for another 15 minutes or so, but the wife and kiddos were yelling at me to hurry up because they were hungry...

Next cooking...

Steaks are on.

Had I allowed a few more minutes of pre-heat, the grill marks would have been more defined.., But what the heck, you can't eat grill marks!

The ribeyes curled a little on the fatty side. I should have scored the fat but didn't

Off the grill and resting.

Next cutting and eating.
    Last edited by JamesB; 12-23-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Strip, ribeye, fillet all cooked to the family's liking (which means too done for me)

Fillet

Strip

Ribeye

Not much for fancy plating, I'm more interested in the eating. A bit of each steak, a baked tater and simple salad... That is my idea of a meal!

Now I wouldn't normally cut my steak before plating, but since I cut all three of those steaks for the pics that is what I had.

In all, I really enjoyed the steaks. Flavorful and tender. Wife and kiddos reported back very favorably as well. To be brutally honest, I don't see myself doing much mail ordering of meat for personal consumption, but these would have made one heck of a gift for Christmas, a Birthday, anniversary etc...

I would like to thank Sterling Silver Premium Meats and The Q Joint Forum for providing me with the opportunity to try these wonderful products!

Sometime during the next week, I hope to cook the pork products that were included in the package.
    Last edited by JamesB; 12-24-2008 at 04:41 AM.

James xsolent thread!!! Great pics, nice fire and good lookin meat from them Sterling boyZ.

I have never gotten, received or ordered mail order meats but by the looks of some of that plate it seems like you hit it on the head. For someone that is lookin for a great gift or for a party or special occasion may be right up their alley. I dont believe it is there intent for everyday meals, or at least not for your and my budget. But sounds like everyone partook and had some empty plates!!!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

It all looked moist and delicious
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Excellent job I almost took a bite out of my monitor. Great pics, everything looks like tasty eatin'.
    Jim

Man, do those steaks look great!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Nice review James. Looks like they were cooked about right - you must be a rare meat guy. Gotta love it when you win meat prizes and they are actually good.

Thanks to Sterling Silver Premium Meats for supplying The Q Joint with the prize package. Something you don't normally see on forums and is what sets this place apart from the crowd.

Can't wait till the next contest!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!