» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

0 members and 27 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Leg Of Lamb **Help**

I have a Middle Eastern Friend who asked me to smoke a couple of legs (bone-in) for him. I've never done lamb before. I'm thinking of doing them on my drum. Any recommendations on prep, rub, cooking temps...I think he'd prefer a medium leg, so I'm thinking about 150 or so internal. I'd like to give the rub a middle eastern flair too. Suggestions????
    Thanks in advance.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I've had lamb three times in my life. The first two were just awful. The third time (this summer) was cooked by the Okie. Needless to say, it was phenomenal. I'll bet he'll post on the subject shortly, or do a search.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

sorry im no help on this one but i have seen some pics of smokys and all over them
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

I saw Smoky's post, but it didn't go into any detail....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I've never had it truly smoked, but a guy I go on a "fishing" trip with annually makes one on the grill wrapped in foil that is melt in the mouth delicious. Takes a boneless leg and stuffs it with garlic oregano basil and thyme, ties the cavity shut, smothers it in tomato fillets and more of the spices. Then it gets wrapped in a double layer of heavy foil and grilled low and slow for about 3-4 hours. I don't know the exact time as I usually miss either the start or finish of the cook. What I do know is that it is damn tasty and turns out almost like a stew, but not quite. The meat just falls apart when you untie it and falls into the savory goodness of the drippings and sauce.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

SmokyOkie Guest

I don't much care for fall apart meat, especially if it's extremely tender on it's own. By my experience, most middle eastern meat dishes leave the meat in a fairly firm condition, but not overly rare.

I would split the leg to the bone ( I usually bone them out) and season it heavily with fresh rosemary, oregano and garlic ( I like to just puree the garlic in olive oil). Season tit inside and out withe the same and some salt and pepper. Then truss it back together.

The drum should work nicely, but I would turn it frequently, and I would also want to cook it around 325. At that temp it should take a little under 1 1/2 hours to be 140-145. I wouldn't take it any higher than that. If I were doing it for myself, it would come off at about 125, but I prolly like it a little more rare than most middle easterners would. Why not ask him?

At any rate, the oregano, rosemary, garlic and olive oil are the key. Do not be sparing with any of them.

Good luck and take pix. Drop a line if I can be of help.

Thanks for the tip everybody. I'll be sure to snap some pix and let everybody know how it turns out.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Oh hey, a nice middle eastern touch would be a little ground cumin in the mix, or perhaps even a little turmeric.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Oh hey, a nice middle eastern touch would be a little ground cumin in the mix, or perhaps even a little turmeric.
    smoky i think he is looking for advice on how to do it and seasonings too, i remember a post you did with lamb that made me drool something fearce, can you give him some tips.
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

He did look up a couple of posts...
    Thanks for all the tips guys!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ