usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 18

5 members and 13 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ball Froster!

Default Ball Froster!

I really thought I was picking the best day of the week for this smoke. I think I was off a day or two. NW winds in the 10-20 mph range and temps in the low to mid 30's made for a challenging day. Took the Lang twice as long to get comfy, meat went on a lil late, but had the day off AGAIN so no big deal on the time!

Babybacks and pork butts went on at 8 am, did I mention it was windy? .

Been a lil while since I posted any pics, so here are a couple.
    About 3hrs into the smoke............

Glad that the snow prediction was way off, the folks 20 miles west of us got dumped on. Lake effect is a B ee tch!

a couple hrs later, the babybacks were ready to get off the pit!

At the 7 hr mark, the butts were at 175-180, so they got some aluminum foil, right after this pic.

The butts were done in 9 hrs flat, musta been convection heat with all the wind. We all know what pulled pork looks like, so I didn't take any pics of that. The smoke was over apple ,cherry and RED OAK! 230-260 degrees, and the PP sammies were awesome. I didn't get any pics of that either, but it did happen!
    The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Good looking grub brother!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
    The smoke was over apple ,cherry and RED OAK! 230-260 degrees,
    Couldn't have been any good!

Pretty lookin stuff Dan! Thanx for sharing. Just outa curiosity, how much wood did you go through with all the wind and cool?

with the north wind and the cold you shoulda gone duck hunting.

Dan, all of that looks absolutely gorgeous! Wow! And here I sit fixin' to eat Corn Dawgs! I should have headed north.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Nobody made you choose corndogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Couldn't have been any good!

Pretty lookin stuff Dan! Thanx for sharing. Just outa curiosity, how much wood did you go through with all the wind and cool?

with the north wind and the cold you shoulda gone duck hunting.
    To be honest, I really didn't use much more than normal,took alot more to get the 60 up to temp, but she held pretty nicely. Grabbed a piece of OSB and laid it against the firebox/warmer on the NW side to keep the flames from shooting out the downwind side intakes! Butts usually take 10 hrs in my rig on average, so I think the fact that it was an hr shorter made up for the added fuel. 20-25 splits for the day I would guess, took 5 just to get her warmed up!

Thanks for the comments guys!
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Lucille always takes 6 or 8 sticks to get good 'n' hot, and when it's cold, that 1/2" metal takes even more to get hot, but once it is, it stays that way.

Capt. Dan,
    That really looks like some mighty fine chow! I've heard a lot of the others talking about the Lang and I can't recall a single one saying anything negative about it. I have a GOSM big block stainless steel and I love it (insulated walls and all). But somehow back in the back of my mind I always feel just a little bit guilty when I turn on the gas. I just might have to check into the Lang. I was just thinking ........ 1/2 inch steel ...... yeah, that would take a while to warm up but I bet it is stable. I had a Silver Smoker and I chased temps up and down during the entire smoke. Perhaps a Lang could make me a stick burner again. Too much rambling ...... thanks for the post. You've got me thinking.
    Florida Bill

Thanks Bill, My Lang has 1/4 inch steel on the smoker, and 3/8 on the firebox I think.

The reverse flow is a great concept, and makes stickburning alot easier I think than traditional stickburners. Never had a gasser, but i like the smell that was commin off the Lang this morning. The way the wind was blowing, I bet they smelled it in the next county!
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
    Thanks Bill, My Lang has 1/4 inch steel on the smoker, and 3/8 on the firebox I think.

The reverse flow is a great concept, and makes stickburning alot easier I think than traditional stickburners. Never had a gasser, but i like the smell that was commin off the Lang this morning. The way the wind was blowing, I bet they smelled it in the next county!
    Great post Dan, great lookn rig AGAIN she pulled it off in higher winds.

offset reverse flow is the way to cook on stickburners IMHO. I have regular tex style stick burner that I have laid tuning plates all over the place and is now an even tempered girl. I love cookin on all wood. marriage made in hell as mrs CG says

Nice lookin vittles and again I love the cross hatching the butts!!

Look at the BLING on the rims!!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast