» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 44

0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: smoked salmon

Default smoked salmon

hello everyone

yesterday my father gave me 4 coho salmon i brinned them in rocksalt and put them into the smoker at a temp of 120 for 4 hours using hickory then i bumped the temp up to 130 for 4 hour then up to 140 for another 4 hours this really turned out good here are some pics

smoked coho salmon

tonites dinner smoked salmon hash and eggs

That looks great! Never smoked salmon but I love eating it, did you use a rub? I have got to try that.
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

butt lover

i just lay the fillet out and give it a heavy coat of rocksalt for 1 1/2 hours rinse and place into smoker turns out great

SmokyOkie Guest

Up there where you are, I'm surprised you don't use alder.

i live on the nw coast i usually do use alder but i decided to use hickory this time i like to change it up i like cherry alder plum and hickory they all taste good

Lookin good my man, alder is a great wood for them cohos. I fillet them with skin on back then score em and lace them with a brown sugar mix easy on the smoker and MMMMMMMMMMMMM they are to die for. We will be bringing some back out of the ice from G Town lake Montana this season. I can not wait for that smoke, Dad just got a Smoke Vault and will not leave it alone!!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Default Barely smoked salmon

I'm new here,,,,,but trust me

I like my salmon done "lox" style...that is, just barely cooked/smoked. Since I'm from the midwest I have to buy my salmon filets, but in season, they're not expensive. I get them skin on, frozen. I brine them in the proper amount of TenderQuick curing salt, but then add a very generous handful or two of brown sugar, and brine them in an iced down cooler for 24 hours or a day or two, your choice. Take 'em out, and rinse them with water. I then either use my stovetop smoker, or the Brinkman (no use firing up Ol' Sweetmeat, smoker on wheels, big enough for a whole steer for this) and use cottonwood for the smoke. (Cottonwood, alder, aspen....all the same species and flavor) and barely smoke them, cold smoking not over 125 degrees, for about 3-4 hours. This turns a 4 dollar a pound salmon filet into a 25 dollar a pound lox filet! Of course, if you like your salmon true smoked, just crank the heat up and do it 'til it's brown, and smoked completely though. When done with both, put 'em in the fridge to firm up before slicing. We then vacuum these filets up and give them away as Christmas presents. Makes the food in the back of your Cabelas' catalog look really over priced.

Sweetmeat aka Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
    and use cottonwood for the smoke. (Cottonwood, alder, aspen....all the same species and flavor)
    I have never heard of using cottonwood, we treat that wood as a "junk" wood round here. Burn the heck outta it in the back yards at partys but never thought bout putting it in my pit. Hummmmmmmmmmm got me thinkin, will have to look into it.

just did......"COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking."

Well I'll be............learn sumin new everyday.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

I used some cottonwood on a turkey a couple of years ago when it was all I had. It was "ok", but not something I would seek out just for smoking.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

GREAT looking salmon! I love smoked salmon.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast