usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

6 members and 28 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bacon

Default bacon

hi all

last night i started smoking 25 pounds of side bacon from a hog we butchered a week ago i cured it using morton tenderquick for five days put it the smoker at a temp of 120 after around 4 hours in the smoker i checked the bacon and reloaded the chip pan i returned to the game and 20-30 min later i checked the smoker and i could hear the bacon sizzling in the smoker i open the door and the chips cought on fire and the bacon fat was melting and that caused the fire to get hot i pulled out the bacon and today i cleaned out the smoker and put the bacon back in for another 8 hours it looks and smells great havent tried it yet i will soon

Lookin' good! What kind of chips did you use? Hickory? Apple?
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

hickory chips i am still learning to control the temps in my smoker at low temps 120 or below its hard to get the chips lit and keep them smoking and when they do get lit they tend to flair up i hope i get it figured out soon i have 100 pounds of ham to smoke in a couple of weeks

Have you tried using chunks instead of chips? Don't seem to flare up as bad. I used to use chips for my cold/cool smoking, but had the same problem. Chunks took care of that......I iwll also put a briquette or something in the the chunks sometimes to keep things smoldering along if needed.

Good luck and nice bacon.
    FBJ

yeah i cant get the chunks here i need to go about sixty miles to wal mart to get chunks just gonna have to make it a point to go get some

Nice job on the bacon. Be sure to snap a pic of it on the plate with the rest of breakfast

With the price of fuel, you may be better off to find a reasonable mail order for chunks. Have you checked out the "Buy Specialty Wood" link at the top??
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Nice job on the bacon. Be sure to snap a pic of it on the plate with the rest of breakfast

yes sir, i love breakfat for supper even, and i can never have enough bacon, might have to start a new post on showing your best breakfast cook

With the price of fuel, you may be better off to find a reasonable mail order for chunks. Have you checked out the "Buy Specialty Wood" link at the top??
    amen to that im excited gas went down to 1.28 a litre i remember the days of gas wars and it was .39 or .49 cents a litre. those were the days huh

See if you can find an old cast iron or stainless frying pan, doesn't have to be very big, place the wood in the pan and place the pan on top of some charcoal, if done right, the chips will smolder just right. I get all my wood form a cabinet manufacturer in town. All nice cut offs of hard maple, cherry and oak, and it's all free. Biggest problem in the colder months is competition from people who burn it for heat.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Is 120 the correcet temp to smoke cured bacon and ham?

I had always thought 90-100 was what was called for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just asking.

BTW- I like the knife.

smokyokie

i smoke the bacon at 120 because i knew i would not be able to get enough smoke at a lower temp without some sort of smoke generator i dont think i want to go much higher then 120 the bacon is turning out great its just a pain in the butt trying to keep the smoke going at such low temps using chips the next smoke i am going to try hickory chunks and a lump or two of charcoal i am having a hard time with this and am getting worried because i have 100 pounds of ham curing and it will be ready to smoke in about 10 days i may build some kind of smoke generator for that job not sure yet still playing around i am sure i will get it under control soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast