» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 32

0 members and 32 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are you starting now?

Here is a little story from the past contest. Some of you can probably relate.

This last weekend in Ft. Myers I was getting ready to start my chicken early Saturday morning. My neighbor next to me watched as I fired up the smoker and took the chicken out of the brine and put some rub on them. I covered them and let them sit as the smoker settled in to my cooking temp. When the time came to put them on the grate he stood next to the smoker and said "those thighs looks good, nice job trimming them, they aren't the ones for the contest though, are they?" I told them that they were and he said "starting kind of early aren't you?" I just kind of blew the comment off since I figured he was just trying to get in my head and make me second guess my game plan.

After about an hour went by he said "Seriously??? that's the chicken you are turning into the judges"..........Yep, I said, he just shook his head and said that he noted the time I started so we could laugh about it later.

Well the chicken got done as planned, boxed, and turned in. He came by after turn in and I gave him a piece of chicken to try. He took one bite and the skin pulled right off and hit him in the chin. He swallowed the bite and most of the skin and threw the rest in the pond behind us........wished me luck and went back over to his place. You could almost hear him saying "DAL in chicken for FBJ" LOL

I wasn't too concerned, although my partner looked disgusted. He always seems to forget that I weed out the ones I think are bad as I go along so by the time I am done, I have 8 good thighs to turn in and don't really give a damn about the perceived quality of the others. Even after I reminded him, he still kept mumbling about us being F ed in chicken. LOL Have some faith.

Well......when I got called for 1st Place in Chicken I was a little shocked (had never won the catagory before), but not near as shocked as my partner and neighbor. The neighbor just shook his head and said "good job".........I told him he might want to start his chicken earlier. LOL

Everytime I look at the chicken trophy I chuckle a little bit.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Had a similar situation wit a first place brisket last spring.

Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

That is great.
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

Sometimes victory comes at just the right moment . Now you are inside his head and he'll be trying to figure out how you did that.

Good job on the chicken
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I love it. Outstanding job!
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Good one FBJ! That win couldn't have come at a better time. I'd loved to have been there and seen the face of your neighbor when your win was announced. Good one!
    Florida Bill

While reading the story, The first thing that came to mind was,
    "where did he score on chicken"

Maybe he was trying to sike you out to get you not to turn it in.

Talking with other teams, They always say the same thing. "What I think will score well doesn't and the ones I think wont do".
    (Same thing has happened to us.)
    They will also tell you they can produce the same thing at 2 comps and one will do well and the next time it won't.
    It's hit and miss and all psrt of the fun.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

He really is a good guy and has been around the FBA comp scene for a while and does pretty well. Being next to him helped me a lot more than it hurt me. He was very open and let me watch how he did everything and I can honestly say that I picked up a few things that I was doing "wrong"........or atleast making harder than I had to.

But, man, he just could not believe that I was starting my chicken that early. LOL
    FBJ

NICE!!!!!!!!!

We took our ribs off in a riboff this summer and cut and submitted. A fella was comin around tasting and offering advise, more beer than cook if ya know what I mean. So we gave him a rib..........other than the turned in stuff and he said. " You all dont have a prayer!!! these guys are going to..... then we came in 2nd and he said,..... why the hell didnt you give me one of THOSE ribs!!"

Never the same bro!!
    Last edited by Chargrilled; 09-27-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast