» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 15

0 members and 15 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,359
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Smile Smoking a Pork Shoulder Roast

What is the Best way to Smoke a Pork Shoulder Roast with a bone in with a Masterbuilt Electric 40 inch
    smoker what is the best brine to use & Rub or wood chip would be the best for a pork shoulder roast I think the temp. should be about 225-240 & the inside should be about 180-190 I have seen & have seen it should take about 10-12 hours in smoker is all this about right this is my first time with a pork shoulder roast--------Ken

I've gone back to just using Head Country rub on mine.

I don't brine or inject my pork butts however I know many folks do.

I think you are right on the temperature. If you are wanting "pulled pork", I usually cook to internal of 203. If you are wanting to slice, 190 is likely a good stopping point.

Are you going to wrap it in foil once it develops good crust/bark? Just an option to decrease your cook time.

The forum has been pretty slow. Post pics before during and after so we can see how it turns out.
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

Use whatever rub and wood flavor you prefer. I like to inject mine. I don't brine. My injection is a combo of apple juice, butter, chicken broth, and Smokey okie's pure pork power.

Inject, rub, wrap in plastic, and leave in frig overnight. Cook at 220-250 till it reaches 160. Foil till is done. It's done when its probe tender. Somewhere from 190-205. Let rest for an hour before pulling. Save the liquid from the foil. Simmer it on stove top with more butter, broth, and apple juice, and a little off my favorite bbq sauce. Return liquid to pork after pulling. Then, enjoy! I suggest a side of dutch's wicked baked beans.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Good to see you around Cabinetmaker! Not to highjack the thread but I just had BellFab build me a new smoker so hopefully the postings will increase a bit!
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    Good to see you around Cabinetmaker! Not to highjack the thread but I just had BellFab build me a new smoker so hopefully the postings will increase a bit!
    I still have mine. Picked up an okla Joe's offset last year. A few mods and it's a good cooker.

Hey! Even a thread hijack is a good post anymore! Lol
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Good to see both of you!
    I don't brine, I inject. Use the rub you like, wrap in clear plastic wrap and overnight in the fridge. I smoke mine on my drum with hickory to about 160 internal, use a Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer with a probe in the butt. Run my drum (GURU) at 325, gives a nice bark. Foil it and go to 195-200. Rest about an hour and pull. Save the juices from the foil and put them in a grease separator, pour off the grease and pour the remaining over the pork, mix well.
    Best of luck with yours.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne