usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

4 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Designs for Brick Pits for Slow Cooking and Smoking

I am looking for a design for a brick pit to build in our family's homeplace back yard. I hope to build something that is beautiful, produces great smoked/BBQ'd food, and becomes a place of rememberance for the next 50 years.

I am not looking at a purchased steel unit because it is portable, will eventually rust, can be borrowed, can be stolen, can get a flat tire, and isn't as visually attractive. I would like it to get more attractive with age.

Why isn't there a specific section of this forum for home-made brick pits like are used in so many family BBQ restaurants in the south? Or is there and I just cant find it?

I would like the design to have a chimney and various cast-iron doors for placing meat and wood. I could have various compartments and ways to route the incoming air and smoke.

I would like some of the advantages that you get with the steel stick-burners on wheels.

The bigger the better! If it had the capability of being a grill as well that is all the better, but not necessary. Steaks and hamburgers can be done on a weber.

I will be cooking about 8 pork shoulders at one time at maximum.

I found these plans, but this is not exactly what I am imagining:

http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/bri...t1/default.jsp

Can anyone refer me to books, or web plans, or some old popular mechanics that shows a good design.

Does anyone have a picture of a brick pit that is particularly cool?

Where does one buy the correct type of brick for use in cooking? What is fire-brick anyway?

Where would I get some cast-iron doors to put on the bottom? Maybe I need a steam-train junk yard for a cool cast iron door. Large antique pot-belly stoves are kinda rare here in Georgia.

This setup is interesting. Woodyard Bar-B-Que. Click on the picture to expand it.
    Attached Images

two914s. Bet I can guess what your screen name refers to. Glad ya made it here. I can at least answer one of your questions. Fire brick is what is used to line the inside of a conventional fire place. It can stand the heat of the fire without cracking.This is from wikipedia

A fire brick, firebrick, or refractory brick is a block of refractory ceramic material used in lining furnaces, kilns, fireboxes, and fireplaces.
    A refractory brick is built primarily to withstand high heat, but should also usually have a low thermal conductivity to save energy. Usually dense firebricks are used in applications with extreme mechanical, chemical, or thermal stresses, such as the inside of a wood-fired kiln or a furnace, which is subject to abrasion from wood, fluxing from ash or slag, and high temperatures. In other, less harsh situations, such as a natural gas fired kiln, more porous bricks are a better choice. They are weaker, but they are much lighter, easier to form, and insulate far better than dense bricks. In any case, firebricks should not spall under rapid temperature change, and their strength should hold up well during rapid temperature changes.
    To make firebrick, fireclay is baked in the kiln until it is partly vitrified, and for special purposes may also be glazed. Fire-bricks usually contain 30-40% aluminium oxide or alumina and 50% silicon dioxide or silica. They can also be made of chamotte and other materials. For bricks of extreme refractory character, the aluminium oxide content can be as high as 50-80% (with correspondingly less silica), and silicon carbide may also be present. The standard size of fire-brick is 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 in. (228 mm x 115 mm x 64 mm)
    The silica firebricks that line steel-making furnaces are used at temperatures up to 1650 C (3000 F), which would melt many other types of ceramic, and in fact part of the silica firebrick liquifies. HRSI, a material with the same composition, is used to make the insulating tiles of the space shuttle.
    A range of other materials find use as firebricks for lower temperature applications. Magnesium oxide is often used as a lining for furnaces.

Fire brick shouldn't be that hard to find. Any masonry supplier, or brick yard should have it.

I found this on google. Looks like a nice unit.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

Lots of cool antique doors could be found in junkyards from old woodstoves, Coal fire boilers, and other such stuff. Let us know what you find out. I would love to put one in my back yard too.