» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

0 members and 27 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default reverse flow question

Iam currently in the process of drawing up plans for a smoker I'm having built. I want to built a reverse flow. I want the cooking chamber to be 48" X 24". My question is..the length of the chamber is 48", how long should the channel from the firebox be? I'm thinking 42" does that seem right?

I have heard (I am no builder) that you want the gap at the end of the plate to be the same distance as the distance from the plate to the bottom of the smoker.........did that make sense?

Have your flow plate 42 inches if the plate is 6 inches of the bottom of the smoke chamber for your example.

If you were only going 4 inches off the bottom of the chamber than go with 44, etc.

Made sense to me when I heard it........thought of it as just a continuous pipe, not getting too big or shrinking too slow the air flow.
    FBJ

[quote=Fatback Joe;14930]I have heard (I am no builder) that you want the gap at the end of the plate to be the same distance as the distance from the plate to the bottom of the smoker.........did that make sense?

Yes it makes sense to me. Unless someone else can dispute this and tell me a better way, this is the way I will go. Thanks for the imput.

I guess my next question should be, how high off of the bottom should my reverse flow plate be?

How big are you planning on the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber?

Maybe one of the Lang users will chime in with the distance on a Lang.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

What is the benefit of reverse flow other than it looks cool?

No hot spot, even cooking temps from side to side, reduced threat of grease fire, you can fill the pan with beer and steam brats, and having the stack on the same side as the fire box sometimes freaks people out!

Here are some pics of mine, but I don't have the measurements. Maybe it will give you an idea of the proportions. Also the pic of the smoke chamber is tilted, but if you look closely, you will see that the pan drains towards the dam where it goes to a 2" drain. The pics aren't real clear, and the smoker is a little dirty...

Last edited by nmayeux; 09-13-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Noah \#/

Nauti-Que BBQ Team
    www.nauti-que.com

Lang 60M Marie Laveau "Another pig done gone!"
    BSKD
    Weber Kettle
    Homemade Pipe Grill
    80qt Crawfish Rig, with Jet Burner
    Several Camp Stoves
    Camp Fire

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
    No hot spot, even cooking temps from side to side, reduced threat of grease fire, you can fill the pan with beer and steam brats, and having the stack on the same side as the fire box sometimes freaks people out!

I don't have any of those problems with Lucille, and have never had a grease fire, even with as much as 300# of meat on at once. but I will admit the stack config is cool.

What pan are you talking about?

Here are some pics of mine, but I don't have the measurements. Maybe it will give you an idea of the proportions. Also the pic of the smoke chamber is tilted, but if you look closely, you will see that the pan drains towards the dam where it goes to a 2" drain. The pics aren't real clear, and the smoker is a little dirty.

I'm glad to hear that. That means I can trust youcuz I never trust a man with a clean smoker

Lang 60? I've cooked on one of those.

I guess by "pan," I am really talking about the baffle. I call it a pan, because you can grease her up and use it like a griddle for pancakes with the cooking grates removed. You can adjust the temp range from end to end by raising or lowering the trailer tongue. The problem with a lot of traditional offsets (not Lucille!), is that built up grease can run into the firebox, or that embers from a hot fire can ignite built up grease in the chamber. Because the Lang baffle can "hold water," and forces grease to the drain, it is much harder to ignite built up grease. However, I have seen a reverse flow with so much grease that it over flowed the dam and ran back into the firebox with predictable results...

The way that I look at it is that the reverse flow design is just a part of the progressive evolution of the traditional offset. Its just that someone replaced tuning plates with a solid pan, and moved the stack. The stick burning offset design is my favorite style of smoker, and the reverse flow is my favorite version of the offset. I still have a special place in my heart for Lucille, but Marie is my lady! What Marie doesn't know, won't hurt her...

As for cleanliness, I do suffer from a foil fetish...
    Last edited by nmayeux; 09-13-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Noah \#/

Nauti-Que BBQ Team
    www.nauti-que.com

Lang 60M Marie Laveau "Another pig done gone!"
    BSKD
    Weber Kettle
    Homemade Pipe Grill
    80qt Crawfish Rig, with Jet Burner
    Several Camp Stoves
    Camp Fire

SmokyOkie Guest

Better foil than a clean smoker! I like the idea of grilling too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast