» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 24

0 members and 24 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,104
Threads: 14,347
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,053)
Welcome to our newest member, ABC-QBob
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dogram View Post
    The fire box is going to be on the end I have not seen one built this way
    That's what I figured. I don't believe it will work with the the design as you are describing.
    The air intake and exhaust for the grill would have to be separate from the the fire box for the smoker. Regulating temps from end to end for smoking or grilling would be a nightmare. You could not smoke and grill at the same time.
    You would be better off with that tank to build a nice smoker, either a regular offset or a reverse flow.
    Then build or buy a dedicated grill like a Weber ranch grill.

JMHO-YMMV
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
    That's what I figured. I don't believe it will work with the the design as you are describing.
    The air intake and exhaust for the grill would have to be separate from the the fire box for the smoker. Regulating temps from end to end for smoking or grilling would be a nightmare. You could not smoke and grill at the same time.
    You would be better off with that tank to build a nice smoker, either a regular offset or a reverse flow.
    Then build or buy a dedicated grill like a Weber ranch grill.

JMHO-YMMV
    I guess I should of thrown it out there that they would be used at separate times.

Quote Originally Posted by dogram View Post
    I guess I should of thrown it out there that they would be used at separate times.
    That will be the least of your headaches. There is a reason you have never seen a system like you are describing. It would be near impossible to get two different systems too work in the same interior space. 2 sets of intakes and exhausts, the interior components of each system would have to be taken in or out depending on whether you are grilling or smoking. For grilling you would need charcoal pans with air controls, a baffle for the side fire box. Then remove those and put in tuning plates and reset the baffle for smoking.
    Too much work and money for something that will not be efficient or give good results on a consistent basis.
    Good luck
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
    That will be the least of your headaches. There is a reason you have never seen a system like you are describing. It would be near impossible to get two different systems too work in the same interior space. 2 sets of intakes and exhausts, the interior components of each system would have to be taken in or out depending on whether you are grilling or smoking. For grilling you would need charcoal pans with air controls, a baffle for the side fire box. Then remove those and put in tuning plates and reset the baffle for smoking.
    Too much work and money for something that will not be efficient or give good results on a consistent basis.
    Good luck
    Guess I need to do more research. Seems to be a lot more science to this then I am thinking. Though is to have a door to slide and ash pan in on top of the smoke baffle then have the charcoal rack stay in the cooking rack be adjustable up and down.

Yes, there is a lot of science involved in building a really good working smoker. Size of tank first, then size of firebox needed for that size of tank, then diameter and length of exhaust stack and size of air intakes needed for proper air flow, size of opening between firebox and main smoke chamber. This is just to get started.
    Over the years I have seen a few builds of something similar to what you are talking about. So, yes it has been done, but not with any real success. After some use most were converted to either a full time smoker or a full time grill. If it were a good and reliable system, don't you think smoker/grill manufacturers would be jumping all over the design to improve their sales ? Also the time and cost would be out of sight compared to building a separate smoker and grill. This is why most commercial and homemade builders build their trailers with separate grills and smokers on the trailers. And what happens when you want to smoke pork butts or brisket and also grill burgers and dogs at the same gathering ? And this is what usually happens at an event. You're out of luck with your design.
    So, yes you have a lot of research and thought to put into your idea before starting your build.
    Good luck with your build. Let us know when you get it done and post some pics of the build and finished unit.
    Jim

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing a build. But from your posts, it sounds like you don't have any real idea of what it takes to build a good working smoker. It does take a lot of time, thought, planning, and designing to make a unit work right. It's not easy to do. There is a lot of cost also involved in this project and having to re-do things cost even more.
    So, all I'm saying is to really sit down and think about what you will really need. Am I going to always smoke or grill. Or will I need or wish I had both a smoker and a grill a lot of times. This is the planning you need to do now before starting to build. This will also help laying out and designing your trailer.
    Good luck
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 03-03-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Jim

the only time I've seen it done with any kind of success was a guy I worked with in Georgia. He had a huge 10' or 12' tank tho. 1 side was set up like a traditional offset long enough to fit a whole hog, then he had a wall to separate the inside of the chamber. Leaving the last 4' or so on the left side as a normal grill setup. His was all home built and thrown together. he didn't care about tuning plates and the proper proportions or the science that went into it. He just addapted to the cooker and how it cooked. Instead of adjusting vents he would add logs or remove logs. When he lit the grill he would make a smaller fire for the smoker. The way his cooker worked he kinda had to cook hot and fast. He made great BBQ but it was all experience and I'm sure a big learning curve.

Another guy I knew would just pull out his tuning and difuser plates and drop charcoal straight into 1 side of the tank and grill on it he had no real temp control while grilling and as long as he didn't have alot of meat he would just throw it on the other side till he was done grilling.

Nobody here is trying to discourage you from trying this we just want you to be sure you know what you're getting into. And realize that there will need to be several compromises and trade offs before you attempt it. Good luck

Webber performer deluxe
    Cinder block smoker
    Cabinet smoker
    Gravity feed 36x24x48 coming soon!

No worries guys this is why I am asking. I am obviously not building this for competition it's just for get-togethers but want it to work proper. So what kinda baffles and thinks I need to install.

Another thing you may want to check is the tank itself. You said it was a fuel tank. Was it a diesel or gas tank that was on a raised framework ? We had 3 of these type of tanks on the farm and they were not made from very thick metal. Maybe 1/8" thick. Which will not hold and retain heat well for a smoker. Really need the tank metal to be at least 1/4" thick for a tank that size to work well for a smoker.
    Also I have no idea what all vent and baffles you may need. Like I said before, none of the ones I've seen ever worked good. So, I don't know that those examples would be much help. Do you even have a drawing to help visualize what you are trying to build? Then maybe we could be of some help as to what you may need.

Not all trailered smokers and grills are made for competition. Most are made for use just like you are going to use it for. Maybe look around at some of the better known smoker makers sites to get some ideas to incorporate into your build.

JMHO, but I think you are limiting your use of your build by trying to make a combo rig, that can only be used as one or the other at any given time instead of a having a separate smoker and grill on the same trailer that can be used at the same time.
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 03-04-2016 at 09:06 AM.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2