» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 36

0 members and 36 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I will stand by the fact that the winners win consistently at different locations around the country with totally different people doing the BLIND judging at each location. At the end of the season the real que cookers are there on top at the KCBS awards banquet.
    Competition cookers are not cooking for you or me. They are cooking to a set of standards set by the sanctioning body, generally KCBS. Without rules (standards) there is no game.
    And judges are required to judge on those standards. Granted, there are some dinks out there who do not comply. But they are the MINORITY. And almost always they get set straight by the other 5 judges and the table captain at their table. I never hesitate to say something.
    And if something has so much heat it burns out my taste buds, or is just plain awful, my individual preference comes into play. I don't like bad que and score it accordingly. And I know it when I bite into it.
    Having judged a few comps I find the average judge to be knowledgeable of the KCBS standards and looking for those things in each sample. That's ALL you can ask of a judge. And yep, each judge is an individual person.
    And there is no talking about the samples among the judges at a table until all judges at the table have completed their sampling and recorded their scores. If there is talking the table captain and KCBS reps are not doing their jobs, something I have never seen.
    Say a comp has 40 teams. 6 judges per team = 240 judges & 40 table captains. Suppose before they judge they all meet and decide today they only like sweet sauces, or salty, or heat????? Get real. 240 individuals.
    Didn't score well at a comp.? Guess what. It ain't the judges. Look inward.
    Now THAT'S kinda a hard thing to do. It's easier to ...............

(And this is all I have to say on this subject. Get certified. Judge some comps.)
    Last edited by peculiarmike; 09-11-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Cook a couple comps, come to the realization that other than rib texture and what you can't do, there are really no specifiacations or standards. There cant be.

And I'll stand by the fact that it would be next to impossible to find those 240 truly qualified people to judge the comps.

The ones that score consistently well are the ones that have figured out the game, and what usually wins is what appeals to the masses as opposed to the true BBQ aficionado.

And, as to being a blind judging, they way they renumber the boxes is to ad a digit or two to the team number. If someone wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to figure iout who's was who's. If the judges knew which table to send it to it could easily be abused.

How often does one actually cook for true BBQ cooks.
    I know when I cook at home for a number of people, I'm cooking for people that all they know is Famous Daves.

If they new what real BBQ was, They would be cooking it themselves.

If you owned a BBQ Restaurant, what type of customers would you have?

The cooks cook and the judges judge. Based on not needing to know how to cook before becoming a judge, how can one expect to be judged by a BBQ profesional?

They set the guidlines/standards (or whatever the heck you want to call it)for you to exercise your skill.
    If you can't cook to specific request then you have no skill.
    That makes a "smoke and hope", like randomly hitting pool balls and seeing if the go in the pocket.

A good pool player can set the q ball on dime from anywhere on the table.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 09-11-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

My thoughts are comps are a summer replacement for deer hunting. An event where you stay up all night in the smoke with friends and consume a large quantity of adult beverages. Who cares whether you win are not where else do you get to sit around with other like minded folks and trade tips face to face.

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by glued2it View Post
    How often does one actually cook for true BBQ cooks.
    I know when I cook at home for a number of people, I'm cooking for people that all they know is Famous Dave's.

If they new what real BBQ was, They would be cooking it themselves.

If you owned a BBQ Restaurant, what type of customers would you have?

The cooks cook and the judges judge. Based on not needing to know how to cook before becoming a judge, how can one expect to be judged by a BBQ professional?

They set the guidlines/standards (or whatever the heck you want to call it)for you to exercise your skill.

If you can't cook to specific request then you have no skill.
    That makes a "smoke and hope", like randomly hitting pool balls and seeing if the go in the pocket.

A good pool player can set the q ball on dime from anywhere on the table.
    So what's your point?

Nobody is contesting whether or not there are standards, the only question here is whether or not it is possible to set standards that define what is championship product and what is not. I contend that it is not possible because taste is the primary consideration, and taste cannot be standardized.

If I had a BBQ restaurant (which, by choice, I never will), my customers would consist of people who like what I like and first timers that perhaps do not, but don't know it yet. That would be the case because I would be cooking to suit my tastes and I think there would be enough people that would share my tastes to keep me in business.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    If I had a BBQ restaurant (which, by choice, I never will), my customers would consist of people who like what I like and first timers that perhaps do not, but don't know it yet. That would be the case because I would be cooking to suit my tastes and I think there would be enough people that would share my tastes to keep me in business.
    Well said and excellent point!!
    Alan

Lang Mobile 48
    Char-broil Silver smoker w/mods
    Char Griller Smoke'n Pro w/mods
    ECB w/mods
    ECB
    Phoenix Gas grill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2