Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

12 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My First UDS Build

Working on building my first UDS and I've really appreciate the pictures and input in the forums here.

Looking for a little advice here...

I've searched through the forums and haven't found a definitive answer yet.

I'm using a 17" grill (Weber replacement from Home Depot) as the bottom of my charcoal basket. The plan is to have a friend with a welder help me attach my expanded metal formed in a circle directly to the grate. I have stainless 3" screws for legs.

Is 6 inches sufficient for the height on the sides of the basket with a 17" diameter grate?

Right now I've got two expanded pieces cut at 12" height x 24" length connected lengthwise and that doesn't create a circumference large enough to fill the grill I have.

Suggestions appreciated.

Sure it's sufficient, but, you'll be limited on smoke times. Mine is 10 inches deep and 18 inch diameter, and holds enough lump for a 30 hr burn.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

As I said elsewhere, 6 inches is plenty for me. It's good for a 20 hour burn, and I never cook anywhere near that long. If you do a lot of cookin' and need more than that, have at it. Make it as deep as you want. Just keep in mind that the taller the basket, the closer the meat is to the fire. At least at the beginning of the cook. Try to keep 24 inches between the fire and the cooking grate.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I agree with Tom on most everything he said. My basket is 16" Dia. x 8" tall with 4" bolts for legs and has a pizza pan to catch the ash on the bottom. I don't see the need for a 30 hour cook, I can't remember the last time I had a cook go 15 hours.

As for as the 24" to cooking grate, this is subjective. Not all builds will have that much height inside. If you use 2 cooking grates, probably not. I put in 3 grate height bolts if I'm using a Weber lid and 2 if using a flat lid. Also if you ever build a UDS from a 30 gal or 15 gal(Mini) there is no way the 24" spacing will work. But for sure keep as much space as you can between the fire and the lowest grate.
    I know I posted some drawings in a sticky that show the rough measurements for 15, 30, & 55 gal drums with flat and Weber lids. They can be adjusted to suit your needs.
    I've built around 40-50 drums in different sizes and these are the basic measurements I always start with.
    Jim

Started out with a food grade barrel that looked like this:

The lid was sealed so I took angle grinder to it...thanks to SDJ1 for ideas and pics from the thread here... http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...d-drum&p=41822

That gave me a lid with a pretty decent fit.

The drum I bought for $10 was food grade and was painted inside and outside.
    I filled the barrel with some firewood, placed it in my backyard fire ring and let it get nice and hot. While it was burning I also used a weed burner torch on the outside. Found that the combination of inside/outside fire made the burnout process a quicker one.
    Took a drill with a wire wheel to the outside and inside for a thorough clean up after that. (forgot to take pics of this process)

One mistake I made was not drilling all the holes before burning. Sprayed a base coat, drilled the holes, then sprayed a glossy coat of engine enamel to top it off.

I'm running two 3/4" ball valves at 180 from each other for the sake of symmetry.

Put a 3/4" pipe nipple with a cap front and center.

Drilled all the holes about 2" up from the bottom.
    Secured all the 2" pipe nipples with rigid conduit lock nuts on the inside. These were the only galvanized pieces I used, tried to locate something stainless but was unable. Any other options or ideas?

Put a couple of cheap handles on the side (found an identical pair in the dollar pile at the local hardware store).

Charcoal basket is on my to do list this Saturday. Sunday is too busy of a day with church and Easter Sunday, but I plan on doing a burn-in to season my UDS and I'll be getting some ribs on there by Monday!

More pics to follow as I get everything together.

Looks like you're off to a good start. My basket is 17 X 6 you don't have to weld it you can use Tie wire mine has been going strong for almost 7 yrs now. I do recommend using 2 weber grates at 90 deg to each other to make a tighter bottom so the small pieces don't fall out.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqdude View Post
    I'm running two 3/4" ball valves at 180 from each other for the sake of symmetry.

Put a 3/4" pipe nipple with a cap front and center.

Drilled all the holes about 2" up from the bottom.
    Secured all the 2" pipe nipples with rigid conduit lock nuts on the inside. These were the only galvanized pieces I used, tried to locate something stainless but was unable. Any other options or ideas?

Put a couple of cheap handles on the side (found an identical pair in the dollar pile at the local hardware store).

Charcoal basket is on my to do list this Saturday. Sunday is too busy of a day with church and Easter Sunday, but I plan on doing a burn-in to season my UDS and I'll be getting some ribs on there by Monday!

More pics to follow as I get everything together.
    Conduit nuts should be OK, but I've had them come loose over time. Another option is JB Weld on the outside to hold pipe nipples solid.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Bbqdude .. looking great! I've made a pretty good share of drums and used taller and shorter baskets. I currently use 8 inch but 6 inch will do great. I suggest a handle that will make removing to clean the ash easier. Just let it lay over on the side.

Great thread and comments!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast