Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

5 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AI's 1st UDS Build

Hey fellas. After posting an intro in the "C'mon In and Sit Down" I jumped over to post about my UDS build but I'll say Hi once again in case any of ya'll missed it.

My wife found me a person selling some drums for $10 a piece. I bought two and decided to use one for a UDS. They are closed top drums that once held transmission fluid. There was still some in the bottom to verify. So I picked what I thought was the best of the two, filled it with water, ground the top off. (rather safe then sorry), and burned it out. I let the ashes cool overnight and put everything back in my garage since we were scheduled for rain for a few days. So that's where I sit.

Did a bit of wire brush work on the lid but have a question. What should the inside look like after the barrel has been burned out? Do I need to get it back down to shiny metal or just knock off what can be knocked off? Some of it took some work even with a drill mounted brush.

Here it is before I started grinding.
    WP_20150307_12_08_51_Pro.jpg

Here is the inside once I had the top removed. Pretty grimy but nothing a good burnout won't fix.
    WP_20150307_12_31_07_Pro.jpg

For seasoning purposes, I like to see bare shiny metal inside. Make sure there is no liner inside. You might want to pressure wash it inside. When it's clean and dry, coat the bare metal with cooking oil or bacon grease to season.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I would not have burnt that out since it had no liner pressure wash it & build it. Bare steel prior to seasoning.
    Last edited by BluDawg; 03-11-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

There wasn't a liner in these barrels bit I felt safer burning them out first. If I use the second barrel for a smoker I'll pressure wash it only and see what it looks like.

All I did today was buy the majority of the parts. I forgot the bolts for the charcoal basket feet but o'well...what's another trip to the store. Plans for this one are to have two cooking grates and possibly a heat deflector. I did get the flat lid down to bare metal and painted the outside portion to help with rust.

Pics tomorrow.

Allright so it took a little longer then I wanted to add new pictures. I'm sure your all upset about that.

But I did a little work on it Saturday afternoon and got about half of the inside cleaned down to bare metal.

WP_20150314_16_25_18_Pro.jpg

Then today after my stepson mowed some of the grass we got to work on this beast. We strapped it to a table, I got to work sanding the remaining bits on the inside, and he got to work on sanding the outside.

WP_20150316_17_08_38_Pro.jpg WP_20150316_16_58_46_Pro.jpg

After it was all sanded I got the intake nipples installed (realizing I forgot a piece needed to install the ball valve) and drilled and installed the bolts to hold the two racks. Got them installed just as the sun was going down.

I am just going to use the standard flat lid that was originally part of the drum so I installed the top most rack 4" below the bottom of the lid and the second rack 6" below that.

WP_20150316_20_16_15_Pro.jpg WP_20150316_20_42_35_Pro.jpg WP_20150316_20_42_43_Pro.jpg WP_20150316_20_44_10_Pro.jpg

Tommorrow should see me going to purchase the needed part to install the ball valve, painting the drum, and building the charcoal basket. We'll see as I think there is a chance of rain.

Looking good!
    Bill

Cool! I love seeing new drums being born!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Yeah. It was nice seeing it all put together so far. We did give it a coat of your standard flat black BBQ paint. Didn't take pics though.

Got the charcoal basket made today. Used an 18" grate from the Brinkman and wrapped it in 8" tall expanded steel. Held it together with baling wire. Ash pan is a large pizza pan about 3" below the basket. Still need to add a handle.

Before pan install.
    WP_20150319_19_47_31_Pro.jpg

After pan install. It was dark by then so yeah.
    WP_20150319_20_16_00_Pro.jpg

bad BONUS PIC (a black drum hmmm......)
    WP_20150319_20_27_33_Pro.jpg

Looking great! You're ready to give it a nice seasoning and start cooking. Excellent job!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast