usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

6 members and 19 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: My first UDS

Default My first UDS

Well, I finally got my UDS built. I will season it tomorrow and then throw some ribs on in a day or 2. All in all it was a successful build although I made a few mistakes along the way. The main issue was for the burn out I used a weed burner. Got it too hot on one side and the lid warped. Its slightly difficult to get it on now, although it seems to seal very well now. This may have helped me actually but if not I will go get a new lid. Other than that I am extremely happy with my first build and can't wait to get some food off of it.
    IMG_20150224_152306.jpgIMG_20150225_172734.jpgIMG_20150225_174619.jpgIMG_20150225_201219.jpgIMG_20150225_201440.jpg
    I won't say that I make the best BBQ, but you will

Looks cool man! I like the upturned temp gauge and all the other goodies that come with the Big Poppa.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Great build! I too like the pluses of the gauge and hooks etc. You won't be disappointed in the performance or efficiency of a drum smoker. Thanks for sharing your build!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Beautiful, now lets see what you can do with it.
    Cal
    Hardware : Cold smoker, Weber kettle copy, SFB stick burner, Weber Spirit E-310, Bullet

Nice job on the build
    Jim

Thanks for the encouragement. A quick update...
    I am seasoning my pit as we speak. It is about 17 degrees outside and is snowing like the north pole.
    I used about 3/4 a basket of kingsford blue, (I know, but it's what I grew up with Dad using and it has always worked for me.), and 5 small chunks of cherry wood. I lit 10 briquettes and placed directly in the center of the basket of unlit charcoal.
    I set my BBQ Guru to 249 and within 15 minutes this things was sitting at a perfect temp. I am amazed at how quickly it came to temp and how steady it is rolling. In this weather I was not expecting that!
    I won't say that I make the best BBQ, but you will

Great deal! The guru is awesome, I have a couple myself. Try the drum on it's own too. Enjoy the experience and wonder of the UDS. Congrats and keep your great posts coming in.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

The Guru is a Fantastic tool that works very well but, learning to run your cooker with just air intakes and exhaust with no electronics is for lack of better word Fun and Challenging as hell in various weather conditions. Very rewarding learning the balance of a specific cooker. Just in case the power goes out. I do love my Guru though. I got mine a year after building my drum.
    Bill