Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

4 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Guy Here

Default New Guy Here

Not new to smokin or cooking but I have been intrigued by the UDS and it's simplicity. So with complete abandon I jumped in today.

1st stop. Dallas Barrel for a re-conditioned barrel. Looks new to me but whatever! No liner to clean out is worth the $40 bucks!
    20141229_134450.jpg

2nd stop Home Depot. Picked up some of my hardware, handles etc.... and a chunk of 24"x24" expanded for the fire basket.
    20141229_134457.jpg

3rd stop home. No welder here but I snagged a pretty simple design from this site. Ended up with a 12"x12"x6" basket. Tucked all the ends in and a little bit of wire for good measure. Recycled a bucket handle to lift it out. Still need to add some legs.
    20141229_150448.jpg

Got the barrel all sectioned out and ready to drill but I couldn't justify the $60 for a step drill at HD. I'll trick my neighbor in to helping and borrow his for a couple beers!
    20141229_150454.jpg

This is what I am hoping to end up with. I believe it was built by someone on here but I looked at so many I could be wrong.
    UDS.jpg

If ya'll see the wheels comin off don't hesitate to speak up but this all seems pretty straight forward. If the weather holds I believe I'll be smokin some pig this weekend!

Lookin' good.

Only thing I wouldn't do is the elbows and upright on the intake. That really restricts the air flow.
    Jim

Looks like you've got a solid plan and are well on your way. Harbor Freight has the step bits much cheaper. Like Jim said I'd skip over the 90 degree, but there are a lot out there. Consider larger diameter pipe to offset air intake restrictions if you want it. Or run a rod extension and handle up .. or not. They're very versatile. Keep the pics coming!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

All you need is a 3/4" ball valve for the intake (or go to a 1" if you like). The rest looks good.

Looking forward to drooling over some pics of killer grub.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Please keep the info coming.
    Cal
    Hardware : Cold smoker, Weber kettle copy, SFB stick burner, Weber Spirit E-310, Bullet

For the sake of being cheap and broke I am not gonna do the upright intake. Just a 3/4" ball valve in the front center and two capped nipples at 9 and 3. I had read a lot about not needing them but at the end of the day I'd rather stab them in now and not need them vs. try to do it in the dark with a hot barrel cause my chicken won't come up to temp.
    I do have one question though. There is a gasket inside my lid. It doesn't seem to be rubber really but not exactly sure what it is. Does it need to go? Makes for a nice fit on the barrel but probably don't want to eat it f ya know what I mean!
    More pics this afternoon
    Last edited by Wood; 12-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.

if your uncertain, i would pull it off...

maybe replace it with a silicone rope gasket...look in the fireplace/wood stove section at the hardware store, be nice to have that air tight as possible.

my drum has a serious air leak at the lid, but knowing this i can compensate , but at times i lose control, it gets a little hotter faster than i want, in a long cook that's okay, but for things where you want to come up slowly, my air leaks can give me grief

good luck on the build
    22' reconstructed Weber
    Iron man- old red ecb w/ super mods
    AquaLung - UDS

I'll get some pics tomorrow, too darn dark out already! Hate this time of the year! Got the the intakes done. 1 hole went perfect and the bung threaded itself right in. The other two not so much. Went a hair to far with the step drill and hole ended up just a hair to big. I'll figure that out in the am. Grill supports done and went off without a hitch. The lid seal turned out to be some kind of closed cell foam that was siliconed in. Gotta go! Silicone is not giving up easy though. Legs for the fire basket completed!
    Still planning on smoking some pig this weekend though

PicCicles is right. Harbor Freight supplied me with two step drills in different sizes for $15. I won't swear they're still that price, but they ain't $60!

I would lose the lid gasket for sure. Replacing with stove rope or silicon is good, but not necessary as long as the lid and rim are perfectly round and not damaged.

I think the others pretty well covered everything else. Good luck!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Yes get rid of the seal. If it leaks we'll get you a way to fix it. Most don't need any further gasket though.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast