usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

4 members and 31 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 13.5 lb of pork shoulder

so im making some pulled pork today...for the bar tomorrow....my first one im kinda nervous

got the meat from costco

rubbed with mustard and then dry rubbed

now its sitting in the UDS at 225 with lump charcoal and chunk mesquite....any advise where to go from here?? lol...i got a probe thermometer in so i can tell when it hits 190 ish.....any advice is appreciated
    Last edited by zinkman311; 10-11-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Why 160 ??
    Jim

sorry i meant 190...(the 6 and 9 key are on top of one another on the numeric keypad of a full keyboard just a typo) so yeah i have read 190 ish is a good internal temp...and then foil/towel/cooler for a few hours?? am i correct with that?

did not plan on wrapping it in foil during the cook at all but some people say yes...others say they like the "crispy bits" you get without foil during the cook...i personally like crispy bits but like i said any advice would be greatly appreciated

To wrap or not is a personal choice. Both ways give good results.
    One thing I would do(JMHO) is cook at 275 to 300. I believe you will like the results and the cooks take alot less time.

As for as the 190 part. Good Q to me is never cooked to a certain temp. Pieces of meat vary and they are not always done at the same temp. I've seen meat get done anywhere from 185 to 215.
    You should cook til the piece of meat is done and not to an internal temp.
    The meat is done when the bone wiggles loose or if boneless, a toothpick or temp probe can be inserted in the meat with the ease it could be inserted into a stick of warm butter.
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 10-11-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Jim

awesome advice...any ballpark temp to start checking?? or maybe timeframe?? this was 2 boneless pork shoulder pieces together in a cryovac package totalling 13.44 lbs...they are fairly close together in the center of my uds...and i got the temp at around 260 at the moment...

Sounds like you have a plan there. Like Jim said I.T. is a guide line. I have seen meat from the same package as you have be done to temp, but one pulled great and the other you had to chop or was hard to pull and real stringy. I personally take mine to 205 I.T. and had good luck. Again it is personal preference. Watch when unwrapping the butts after the rest as they hold heat while wrapped and in the cooler. They will also gain 5 to 10 degrees after wrapping while in the cooler. Butts are one of the easiest pieces of meat to cook and are very forgiving, so don't worry about temp flares or high temps, just get the temp under control and proceed. You should do fine and get great reviews at the bar tomorrow. May even get a few drinks bought for you. ENJOY!!!
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

I'd start checking around 180. It goes fairly quick after that. A butt or shoulder is very forgiving, so don't worry if you feel you went too long. After the rest it will be fine.
    Jim

awesome...im at 156 degrees now and its been in for 5 hours...sound about right ??? does it stall like a brisket would ?

also i was wondering if i could wrap it in foil....rest it...and pull it tomorrow around lunch time....would that work??? or does it need to be pulled tonight after i rest it???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast