Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 33

1 members and 32 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

Exclamation Attention All Drum Heads And Rotisserie Fans

I have just finished visiting with the folks at EZ QUE They have what looks to me like the perfect device for drumming butts. Click on the link above.

They are sending me a unit to experiment with so as to perfect the fit for an open head 55 gal drum. I don't think it will be a problem to adapt since there is less than 1/2 inc paly in it as best as I can tell.

In the meantime. they have made a generous offer to sell the normally $160 unit to our members for $119.95 or $99.95 w/o motor.

While they haven't made any offers for member discounts on their other models, I imagine they would also offer discounts on them as well.

To order, call Shane @ 877.377.2900

Looks to me like you would need a dome lid to clear the rotation of it. It is a nice unit, but we need to come up with an inexpensive source for a domed container lid. I've seen them, but they aren't really very easy on the ol wallet.

You've got connections - any of your suppliers have them for a reasonable price?
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Man, I was just sketching up some ideas this weekend on adding a rotisserie to my drum. You too must have been watching your buddy on PBS again (I won't say his name, but it sounds like Smeevin Swikelan). Both BBQU and Primall was on rotisserie cooked meat. I was thinking of a flat rack that sandwiched a couple ribs with a rotisserie for the drum. As Piggy mentioned, I think you'll either have to have a dome, or an expansion ring like Weber uses. For that matter, the webber rotisserie ring might even fit on the drum. Either way, I'll bet it would be a great suppliment to the drum. And of course, I would have to have a USB motor controller so I could monitor and control the RPMs and acceleration from the computer. ;->
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

I think it would fit and work well on the drums. My thing is that if you use the rotis without a lid, then it takes away from the efficiency of the drum concept.

For a drum model I would like to see it sit a little lower in the unit so that it would clear any lid as it turns. Like I said though, there are domed covers out there (a lot are plastic) but I'd like to see it work without the added cost of a new lid or cutting up an older grill to make the mod.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geek with Fire View Post
    Man, I was just sketching up some ideas this weekend on adding a rotisserie to my drum. You too must have been watching your buddy on PBS again (I won't say his name, but it sounds like Smeevin Swikelan). Both BBQU and Primall was on rotisserie cooked meat. I was thinking of a flat rack that sandwiched a couple ribs with a rotisserie for the drum. As Piggy mentioned, I think you'll either have to have a dome, or an expansion ring like Weber uses. For that matter, the webber rotisserie ring might even fit on the drum. Either way, I'll bet it would be a great suppliment to the drum. And of course, I would have to have a USB motor controller so I could monitor and control the RPMs and acceleration from the computer. ;->
    Of course...control the RPM's...can't have it over revving or anything

The unit comes with the ring Josh. That's what I'm going to work on, designing an airtight fit for thr ring.

Did you check out the design on the basket assy? And all in stainless (304 if I'm not mistaken)

For the sale price, that's hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    I think it would fit and work well on the drums. My thing is that if you use the rotis without a lid, then it takes away from the efficiency of the drum concept.

For a drum model I would like to see it sit a little lower in the unit so that it would clear any lid as it turns. Like I said though, there are domed covers out there (a lot are plastic) but I'd like to see it work without the added cost of a new lid or cutting up an older grill to make the mod.
    Yeah, with the current design, you'd need a Weber lid, but how many used Webeers do you see at garage sales for $10?

It's possible too that he might decide to build one that works with a standard drum lid.

Personally, I'd rather have it mounted higher. I think that with direct heat, the higher you get above the fire, the better off you are.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Yeah, with the current design, you'd need a Weber lid, but how many used Webeers do you see at garage sales for $10?
    Just make sure that when you send your wife out garage saling that she comes back with the right sized lid. The smaller kettle Weber makes won't fit. It's about 6" short in dia.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

There have been several folks put a rotiserie on a UDS. and it's a great idea! The ring mentinoed above should allow an easy way to do so with no labor involved.

I used to use one (a rotis) on my first barrel cooker that I made years ago (way before UDS became popular... At the time, I just mounted the rotis rod brackets on the outside of the drum. At first I was cooking over an open barrel and that worked great for chickens, loins etc., but I eventually cut slots in an old Weber kettle lid (neighbor was throwing it out) to act as a cover when rotis'n turkeys and help trap some heat...

I would note that you can get too far above the fire, so I wouldn't want it mounted too far above the lip of the drum.

Here are a few pics of my earliest attempts of barrell rotis'n...

Here you can sort of see how the brackets are attached. This pic doesn't look like I had sloted the lid yet.

Sorry for the quality of the pics...

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post

wouldnt there be issues with a plastic lid and the heat, sounds like a money pit, couldnt you fabricate a metal hood that was curved? guess i better call my father in law (being the metal guys he is, (i have no idea)
    but iklnow the next rig i get has to have all the toys and most importantly all the power to do up some good stuff, (that way as i learn and burn the shi@# up there is no proof except what i post

SmokyOkie Guest

James, what difference would the hieght above the coals make if the cooking temp in the drum is what you want it to be> and why wouldn't you be able to maintein the same temps as the regular drum if all was fairly air tight?

Hey Tim. With something like a ring as you posted about and the better design of the current UDSs, it might not matter. That old drum in the pics was anything but air tight so the higher I placed the food over the cooking grate location the lower the cooking temps and the more difficulty I had with things like getting good color on chicken skin etc. This was all several years ago and my memory may be effected by some damaged brain cells, but that is the way I remember it.

What I was really trying to say is that a rotis on a drum is a good thing!
    Last edited by JamesB; 08-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast