usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

11 members and 16 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I do know what a BBQ comp is and what is a basic expectation of taste and style is at a comp. The nature of this comp. is a KCBS certified comp.Yes, there are different regional tastes but you don't see very much of that in most KCBS type of comps. Maybe a bit of difference in heat, spices, and sweetness are the biggest differences. It is a proven fact that sweet trumps heat at comps. Also try turning in ribs that aren't glazed with a thick sweet sauce and see how far that will get you.
    I won't argue comps with you, but it is very expensive to do comps now days. I did comps for around 15 years, then quit because of the time and cost to do them about 2004 and I still catered BBQ til 2010 when I had to quit due to health problems. So, Yes I'm speaking from experience about comps. I used 2 Spicewine smokers and a Keg for doing chicken.
    The time to experiment is at home during practice cooks when you are doing subtle changes to get that just right taste for a comp. Most comp turn-ins are one hit wonders with strong flavors designed to be tasted 30 or more minutes after you turned in your box. Most of the time the meat is warm, not hot when tasted at the judging. That's why most competitors even say it's not what they would want to sit down and make a meal of.
    Practice is the best way to get your cooking and timing down to how it needs to be at a comp. so you don't miss a turn-in time.
    Good luck and let us know how things work out.
    Jim

That's the part I might find frustrating about competitions. What the judges want and what wins, isn't what I'm used to. If I'm doing fowl, it's a whole Cornish hen on the smoker or grilled pieces of chicken over lump chacoal. Neither of which will win me a trophy.

But, I know this and nobody is twisting my arm to do the comp. I decided to do it.

I'm sure there is a tutorial here somewhere, but how do I post pics? I'm not much of a technology man.
    Never trust a skinny person for food advice.

tried copying and pasting a pic. I'll have to keep trying through the attachment icon above. I'm using my phone and it won't let me drag the pic down. Maybe with the laptop, I'll have better luck

Well, that didn't work!

There is a thread towards the bottom of the main forum page that does a good job about explaining everything. Basically resize less than i think 600x800 I personally like 400x600.

Then upload it to photo bucket. Click the share button, then get links then copy and paste the forums link into the box on this site. There's other ways but I like this one and It works on my phone.
    Webber performer deluxe
    Cinder block smoker
    Cabinet smoker
    Gravity feed 36x24x48 coming soon!

There's also a test page in that same area to make sure your pics are uploading properly
    Webber performer deluxe
    Cinder block smoker
    Cabinet smoker
    Gravity feed 36x24x48 coming soon!

Good deal, thanks

I know there are a few things wrong with this box. The comp is about 14 weeks away. Ive never put together turn In boxes, nor have I focused on bite through skin.

Not 6 pieces in the box, big no no!
    Also not uniform in size
    *** I didn't want to buy and cook 18 thighs just for a practice round. When I do it on the big day, ill have way more to choose from to fix these problems

I see now that I need to be tidier with trimming the ends
    I thought the sauce was too thick, ill have to thin down the next batch a little bit

The sauce was perfectly spicy for me but im willing to bet it was too spicy for judging.
    Skin was bite through (thankfully)

Im not afraid of criticism or advice.
    thanks gang
    Attached Images
    Last edited by YankeeQ; 03-11-2016 at 08:41 PM.

The greenery was not even in the box and not enough of it.
    Sauce a bit thick, but nice and evenly applied.
    As you said... size not the same and not trimmed up very well.
    As for cooking 18 pieces at the comp. You need to keep practicing. Some guys start picking through all the practice thighs bought and saving & freezing them until they have just the right ones selected for the comp.

Practice cooking can get expensive, but it's the only way to get your cooking timing down. You have to be able to cook and hold your pork butt and brisket until you are ready to turn in. Check in the comp rules for the turn in time schedule. This is very important. You can't miss a turn-in time by even a minute or you will be DQ'd for which ever meat you were turning in. Your practice should be timed and based on that schedule. The practice should be done just like you were at the comp. Even working off the tables you will be using at the comp and working out of coolers-not the fridge in your kitchen, washing and cleaning out of plastic dish pans This is why it gets expensive, cooking for practice and timing. Brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken aren't cheap but cooking them is the only way to get good at the timing and being able to work with the set-up you will be using at the comp.

Remember that the meat transported in the coolers must be kept below 40 and it will be checked when you sign-in.

Do you have an EZ UP canopy in case of rain, coolers, 3 extra large dish pans for cleaning, sanitizing cleaner ?? How many smokers are you going to be using ??

I used to have a check-off list for comps. I'll see if I can find a copy for you.
    Jim

Here's a check list. May need a little tweaking, but will be a good start. Not mine, I'm still looking for a copy of it. You can also get the complete rules and a check list off the KCBS site.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/attac...7&d=1308195117
    Jim

Keeping and freezing the best ones is an incredible idea.

I did start a check list and saw someone's in here. Might have been yours.

Turn ins are 12:00, 12:30, 1:00 and 1:30 for chicken, ribs, butt and brisket. I plan on 1 or 2 Saturday nights this year, setting up and cooking all of them for turn in boxes to feed the family.

Gonna buy a camping sink or portable fish filleting table with sink built in. We'll be taking mine and my brother in laws stick burners and my home made charcoal grill too. It might be over kill but I planed on 2 butts, 2 brisket a, 3 ribs and like 16 thighs. Then we can be very picky on our turn ins. Do you think that is overkill? I think it's worth it, considering how much of an emotional and financial investment it is.

I'm hoping good coolers packed to the hilt with ice will keep meat at right temp. I could even bring them slightly frozen. First meat to go on will be brisket, prob 7 or 8 hours after they inspect the meat.

I appreciate the help. Nobody on this site owes any of us anything, but most people are more than willing to share their love of BBQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast