Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

12 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default my first judging

For Father's day weekend I got to judge my first KCBS event. It was about a 5 five hour drive for me but I got to spend the rest of the weekend with my daughter and her family. I had a great time judging! There was one judge that was doing his 30th event that day. There was a master judge at my table. Everyone was very helpful and extremely friendly. I learned lots from everyone. Can't wait to do it again. Everything seemed to be extremely organized. http://crossborderbbq.com/ Located along Lake Ontario. Many Canadian teams competing.
    4 Home built UDS
    Brinkman s-n-p converted to vertical

Glad it was a good experience and a great weekend with your daughter.

Love Peace and No Chicken Grease
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

that sounds incredible. Id like to compete and also judge at least one time in my life.

Which brings me to an odd question. I am going to compete this summer in my first KCBS event. My family wants me to make my teriyaki chicken thighs for the chicken category. I cant find anywhere in the rules that it would be an issue. However I am worried about the judges being BBQ purists.

They do turn out amazing when I make them, but im worried that its a bad choice. I want to stick with traditional chicken, rub and sauce.

Thoughts?
    thanks
    Never trust a skinny person for food advice.

C'mon, you really have to ask a question like that about a KCBS competition ??????

Simple answer is .......

It's called a BBQ competition

NOT an Oriental cooking competition.
    Jim

Thanks. I appreciate the honest opinion.

its what I figured but wanted to ask someone who had any experience. I tried telling the family that even though its within the rules and its chicken, that we will get **** scores in chicken. The are just sentimental and love the recipe.

I've got the rub and sauce I want for BBQ chicken, I just need to practice more on getting the skin right.

As long as you go in with the expectation of getting a low chik score and not get your hopes up I say do it. it could be looked at as an experimental run. Go in have fun and make some killer Q. There is always another competition and every one you do gives you good practice and experience for the next one. You never know you might actually do OK.

Good luck!!!
    Webber performer deluxe
    Cinder block smoker
    Cabinet smoker
    Gravity feed 36x24x48 coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    As long as you go in with the expectation of getting a low chik score and not get your hopes up I say do it. it could be looked at as an experimental run. Go in have fun and make some killer Q. There is always another competition and every one you do gives you good practice and experience for the next one. You never know you might actually do OK.

Good luck!!!
    We agree on one thing. Good luck

Why would anyone want to go into a BBQ comp with the expectation of getting a low score or a DQ by cooking an Oriental dish. The comp is for BBQ, plain and simple. It's Not a comp for Oriental food, Italian food, or other styles of food.
    Also the cost to do a comp is not inexpensive. The entry fees, cost of meats( can't just cook 1 brisket, 1 rack of ribs, 1 pork butt, or 1 chicken part), travel expenses, wood, charcoal, spices, sauce, cookers, tents, cleaning supplies, and other incidentals.
    That's just telling someone to throw their money away.

JMHO-YMMV
    Jim

I'm not telling him or anyone to throw away their money. We don't know the nature of this comp or his situation, it may be in his back yard it may be 2 days drive. Is he only doing 1 category or 5. We don't know I'm just saying to go in with an open mind and not to have high hopes.

BBQ is not a flavor its not a sauce its a cooking style that is constantly evolving and changes from region to region and state to state. How else do you explain mustard, vinegar and tomato sauces. The southwestern region has strong Mexican and southern flavors. Western region does have a strong Asian influence with ginger and teriyaki flavors on ribs chicken and pork and they go to regional and national comps every year.the best teams are those that can blend them well with traditional flavors of that region. I also wouldn't go to the big pig jig in Georgia dominated by Myron mixon and traditional Georgia flavors with a teriyaki recipe. That's common sense.

It's not our place to decide or dictate what is and is not an acceptable BBQ flavor, its our job here to encourage our members to not be afraid of trying something new, and share their experiences. So we can all learn from each other, and help each other be better.

Every comp gives us valuable experience and when you compare what you learn to previous comps and use it to learn something and improve things for the next comp you will get better. If you do nothing else other than to prove that it won't do well in that region and get your family off your back it was money and time well spent.
    Webber performer deluxe
    Cinder block smoker
    Cabinet smoker
    Gravity feed 36x24x48 coming soon!

The competition is in my backyard. About 2 miles away. I think I have to do all 4 categories. It's KCBS event.

I appreciate both of your opinions.

BBQ isn't a cookie cutter: similar rubs and sauces.
    The teriyaki chicken I make is some of the best chicken you would ever eat off of a smoker/grill.

I also get the traditionalist side of the BBQ. There is a reason most of the sauces and rubs are similar in their respective regions of the country. There is something fascinating about BBQ and it's simple origins. Everyone has their schticks. I prefer old fashion stick burners. I don't judge people who use electric or propane smokers. People use them well, love food and are good at what they do. They just aren't for me. (Although they might come in handy doing cheese, fish or sausages)

I've decided to go traditional, mainly because I want the challenge and I'm not sure how the judges will interpret ' BBQ'
    If I can figure out how, I'll post a pic of my first ever attempt at a run in box. I tried it last night.
    Last edited by YankeeQ; 03-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.

The comp is indeed in my backyard. About 2 miles away. It's KCBS event so I think I have to enter all 4 meats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast