usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

13 members and 12 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why a ball valve?......

So I'm still slooooooooooooooooowly building my UDS, and I've got all the parts and such, and I've pulled a few big flat magnets off the fridge for the side intake holes, and it got me to thinking.....

Why the F am I paying $18 for a freaking ball valve and other parts to attach it when I could essentially use another free flat strip magnet and basically do the same damn thing.

Granted, it might not regulate things just as quick as a turn of the handle, but for crying out loud, I'm thinking it would work just the same. Is it so damn simple that the forest couldn't be see for the trees or is there another purpose of the ball valve and handle that I'm missing other than air regulation.

get at me peeps!

Now how to hook up a "fat man handle" onto a magnet!

Magnets will work for a while and many people have used them. Just be sure to have a few extra laying around. They break down and tend to quit sticking after a while. The heat breaks them down. Also rain can cause them to slide from the moisture and heat. So what happens to your cook if a magnet fails and you don't see it has fallen off for a couple hours. Talk about temps rising !! They just aren't as reliable as ball valves.
    Jim

Jim said it. They work fine but be sure to have plenty of extra magnets handy. Some have had parts laying around to make slide gates too. In the words of Bob Ross ... it's your world, put a tree anywhere you like. Make that drum any way you like. If the magnets aren't your thing then you can put the valve in later.

Love Peace and No Chicken Grease
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Jim and Joe covered it very well. It's your UDS, do what you want. Have seen PVC ball valves used. Just use pipe nipple in barrel and then plastic valve. They're about half the price of a metal valve. Just my
    Last edited by Short One; 06-09-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

A good alternative to a magnets to get a package of electrical connector box chrome hole plugs. Drill a small hole in the middle of each one and double nut a machine screw in the hole for a handle. That is the way the original design was on the old B ig D rum S mokers designed by Rocky Richmond that was cloned as the UDS
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

This is why this place rocks. Simple question answered without any d-bag answers. I appreciate the input on the magnet idea. Looks like I'll still install the old ball valve set up, as in the long run will be less of a PITA.

Much thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene Lounge View Post
    So I'm still slooooooooooooooooowly building my UDS, and I've got all the parts and such, and I've pulled a few big flat magnets off the fridge for the side intake holes, and it got me to thinking.....

Why the F am I paying $18 for a freaking ball valve and other parts to attach it when I could essentially use another free flat strip magnet and basically do the same damn thing.

Granted, it might not regulate things just as quick as a turn of the handle, but for crying out loud, I'm thinking it would work just the same. Is it so damn simple that the forest couldn't be see for the trees or is there another purpose of the ball valve and handle that I'm missing other than air regulation.

get at me peeps!

Now how to hook up a "fat man handle" onto a magnet!
    $18 for a ball valve?? I haven't priced them lately, but last time I built a drum I paid $8-9 for a 3/4 inch b-valve. That was 2009. Have they really gone up THAT much???

My first had magnets, and they were a problem. So I went with three 3/4 in. close pipe nipples. I use caps on two of them and one 3/4 in. ball valve. Even at 18 bucks, it beats magnets all to Hell.

BTW, I just checked Lowe's on line...brass ball valves 3/4 in. are available for under 10 bucks.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

If you have a local Harbor Freight or similar El cheapo store check them. I've gotten some cheaper valves there too. Doing a little looking and asking you can save some cash over the big box stores.

Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    If you have a local Harbor Freight or similar El cheapo store check them. I've gotten some cheaper valves there too. Doing a little looking and asking you can save some cash over the big box stores.

Yeah I think that's where I bought my first one.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I'm the king of cheap.... i think there's a picture of me in the Webster Dictionary used for visual reference.....

two words, flea markets......or garage sales,
    22' reconstructed Weber
    Iron man- old red ecb w/ super mods
    AquaLung - UDS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast