usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

2 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default My UDS build, questions/comments/suggestions encouraged!

Hey guys. I don't know if everyone a) does a build thread b)if it is encouraged to do a build thread or c) discouraged. If C, please delete this one if needed.

First of all, we tore out that 24' round money pit that hasn't been used for 2 seasons and hasn't been functioning for 1.

So I have a pretty blank slate where I'll be setting up a Q area in the back yard:

sorry for the big pic, re-sized in photobucket, .....hmmm

Where the deck is, I'm going to reclaim the wood and create a 3 walled cooking area, leaving room if needed for additional smoker/smokers. The area under the deck is river rock, so I will move some of that and add some patio blocks as needed to place the UDS upon. I'm also going to make some benches out of the 4x4's and some mason blocks.

My neighbor is an auto mechanic, hooked me up with this antifreeze 55g closed lid drum. Cost: $0

my biggest concern is the flammability of antifreeze!

I also got hooked up with a Weber kettle lid: $0

I have a few questions down the road but need to get to work. But my biggest question is for the seasoned UDS users:

What would you do differently today if you made another one and why?

Thanks

I'd go with 1 2'5" raised intake and pot the exhaust holes on the drum around the top edge.
    Why Because I'm to lazy to bend over to adjust the temps I need more air because I cook everything above 300 and i intake is simple. Equally spaced exhaust holes will equalize the grate temps and help keep to water out if it rains on a cook.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

After knocking around The Joint, seeing what the seasoned vets are saying, I've pretty much come to the concept of using 2 1" holes covered with magnets and 1 1" valve, possibly putting the ball valve on a riser.

I also had a few questions in regards to the Weber lid:
    My drum is a sealed lid, so I plan on using a grinder to take the edges off via the how to cut off a lid on a closed drum thread I found. But if I do this, taking the sides off the rolled edge, will the Weber lid fit? Is that enough of the edge removed to fit snugly?

also, another option I looked at, was possibly just cutting off the lid below the rolled edge? Would that be sufficient in removing the lid and still getting a nice snug fitting?

Finally, the drum is black, lid is Cubs blue. I hate the Cubs, and I don't want a Cubs blue UDS, so can the lid be painted with success?

Thanks in advance!

a) No not everyone does a build thread. But many have; myself included.

b) Yes it it is encouraged! We love this stuff!

c) Not gonna delete.

If the lid doesn't fit the rim of the drum as is. it may after you grind off the outer rim to remove the top. Otherwise, you may want to use a jigsaw to cut out the top.If need be, you can weld or rivet a band of metal around the inside with just enough sticking out for the Weber lid to sit on.

Some guys have cut off the top inch or so from a Weber Kettle and pressed it down inside the drum with just the top bead sticking out for the lid.

Finally, painting that lid shouldn't be a problem.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Dropped the pool off at a local recycling joint. Cash $$$ to go buy a grinder and some parts for the build

Before you go grinding on the drum, turn it upside down and see if the lid fits on the bottom. Sometimes the rolled lip is a little smaller on the bottom. Then just cut the metal from the inside and save the cut out disk for latter use.
    Jim

Lid Fix
    Cut along the inside with a Hammer & cold chisel like a can opener> light taps = a continuous Smooth cut. Save that piece for an ash catcher under your basket install the band in the picture hte lid will seal like it is on a Kettle (No Drips).
    Last edited by BluDawg; 04-22-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
    Before you go grinding on the drum, turn it upside down and see if the lid fits on the bottom. Sometimes the rolled lip is a little smaller on the bottom. Then just cut the metal from the inside and save the cut out disk for latter use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    Lid Fix
    Cut along the inside with a Hammer & cold chisel like a can opener> light taps = a continuous Smooth cut. Save that piece for an ash catcher under your basket install the band in the picture hte lid will seal like it is on a Kettle (No Drips).
    Good points.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Good lookin out fellas. I did flip the drum and it almost appeared to actually be larger, but probably the same size.

I do like the idea of using the chisel over the grinder and adding the banding to the top, now just gotta remember what freaking thread I saw that in!

Time to review my mods I want to do, like add an area for an umbrella, shelf, etc and make a list and head off to the Lowes Depot and get to work!

Took an unexpected trip to HD today. I didn't get everything I need, but I picked up a 6' 1/8x2" strip of metal for the lid mod, a 1" ball valve, a hole saw for said ball valve, some expanded metal for a basket, a cold chisel to knock out the lid and get the burn done hopefully sooner than later.

My question is this: Where is the thread/or instructions to do the ball valve handle mod in these pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post

For the life of me, I can't figure out how the hell to connect a pipe/threaded pipe to the top of a ball valve and then attach the handle. I've searched all over the place, but can't find it.

also, is there a standard mod to hang the Weber lid?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast