» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 38

0 members and 38 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Digi Q DX2 all over the place

Hello all,

I just bought a DigiQ Dx2 and performed my first cook with it. My buddies and I read the instructions and thought we put it on right and everything.

It was a cool day today and the smoker was dealing with 15-20 mile an hour winds, even with the vents closed up and the guru vent plugged with aluminum tape and sitting under a carport. The meat target temp was set to 200 and the grate temp was set to 225.

At times the temp was dead on accurate and at times it soared 100-150 degrees too high or 75 degrees too low. Unfortunately I had to identical size pork butts finish several hours apart and my WSM burned through nearly a 10lb bag of charcoal during the cook. I finally brought the butt in an finished it in the oven.

For nearly $300 I was expecting a little more predictable accuracy. Does anyone have an idea what may have gone wrong? The dome on the WSM and the grate clip on the meat rack were sometimes 100+ degrees off, and that's too much I don't care what you're using. Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

Two different butts can and will sometimes cook very different and finish at different times. Just the difference in the meat.

Did you check the probes for accuracy before using them? Check them in boiling water and ice water.

Did you have them plugged in right? Using the correct plug for meat and cooker temp and plugged in the right spot. Also plugged in tightly.

Sounds like the wind played a very big part in the problem. Maybe needed to block the wind or turn the cooker slightly in another direction.

The difference between grate temp and dome temp is usually around that amount of difference. Did you check the temp gauge in the dome to see if it was reading accurately ?

I think I would check all the probes and gauges for accuracy and try again.
    Jim

Default New Digi Q DX2 all over the place

I'd check the probes and make sure you have a good connection. Also, make sure that nothing was resting on, or touching, the pit temp probe. I use a probe tree to help with that issue.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I have also heard using a full water pan can skew the temps as well (which I was). I had the top exhaust vent open 100% which in hindsight research is not recommended when using a DigiQ. Damper on the DigiQ was 30-40% open.

I didn't think wind would be a huge deal because all the vents were closed/blocked off with tape? Maybe the exhaust vent at the top was making that much of an impact with the wind being 15-20mph?

Any other tips from guys in the know would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You might be right about the water pan and wide open exhaust. I use mine on my drum. I run it with no water pan and the exhaust wide open. hardly any temperature fluctuation at all. However, the drum is quite larger than a WSM. Another thing I do is, I put the Weber lid on where the exhaust is on the opposite side of the prevailing wind.

I like to run my water pan due to not drying my food out but if I keep my temps at 225-250 do you think my BBQ (usually turkey breasts and pork butts) will dry out? How should I run a smoke with an empty water pan? I understand a low steady temperature may negate the need for a water pan to prevent drying out but what are your recommendations for smoking without the water pan filled and still keeping food moist? What is the advantage of using a water pan?

I will drop the pan if the digiQ will work better without it and not dry out. Thanks!

I have heard of people putting sand in the water pan instead of water. I've never used a WSM before, so I'm not sure about technique on those. In my drum, I use a 12" pizza pan, with holes in it, as a diffuser plate. You can usually get them at any grocery store. They're usually advertised as making crispier pizza crusts. Drippings can pass through the pan and still hit the coals, producing some moisture in the air and a really great aroma.

As far as turkey breasts and pork butts drying out, I wouldn't worry much about that, especially the pork. I cook 10 pound butts, all the time, with no diffuser plate, and have never had an issue with them drying out. Same for turkey breasts. All though, in the WSM, I'd at least use a diffuser plate with both the turkey and pork, since the coals are quite a bit closer to the meat than they are with a drum.

Sorry I'm seeing this late tackdriver. I use a Guru on my drum quite a bit. I don't use water or diffusers and have no issue with temp variation unless dealing with a lot of wind drafts (or in the case of the PartQ .. dead batteries)

I would say the biggest issue was wind. Keep using it and learn how your WSM works with it and adjust your exhaust vents as needed. If you choose to try sand .. cover it the water pan in foil, add the sand, then cover that with foil to keep it from getting too nasty. Keep using water if you like and learn to set up the cooker the way it needs to be for the draft control.

If you have problems next time, come back and let us know the details and we'll help ya get it figured out. The Guru works you just gotta learn a little different way of controlling temps.

Good luck and let us know if the next time it goes better for you.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Default Ok I've tried everything!!! *ANGRY FACE*!!!

I have foiled the water pan...I have filled the water pan. I have checked the connections...I have tightened the connections. I have read the instructions...I have reread the instructions...

NOTHING WORKS!!! My $300 Guru that is supposed to be rock solid at 225 is consistently SCREAMING at 300-350+. The alarm is going off all the time.

What am I doing wrong?!?

Try closing the slide down to approximately 30 to 50 percent open. I forget if the display can be changed to Celsius ... check that also. Can you post a pic of your setup?

No chickens were harmed in this statement. But it doesn't mean I didn't want to.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast