Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

6 members and 24 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

lazy
    here is a quote from Ezine Article, I have no personel knowledge on osage organge but the rest I know are not to be used.

"Woods to Avoid
    Cedar, cypress, elm, eucalyptus, liquid amber, pine, redwood, fir, spruce, osage orange and sycamore are not suitable for smoking."
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Does sand cherry=sand plum?

Also, I have read not to use sassafras? does anyone have any idea why not?

What I know of sassafras , it is a fairly dense hardwood.

I always thought it would be good, but never tried it.
    Here is another list and sassafras is on the list, has a root beer after taste it's said.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm
    Jim

Klose mobile
    Ole Hickory EL-EDx
    Ole Hickory CTO
    Primo Ovals
    WSM
    Weber Rancher

Check with Peculiar Mike. I think he has used it. I know he has a bunch of it.

I was wondering about Sycamore yesterday while picking up the hundreds of sticks that thing poops all over my yard in the winter. I have a beautiful triple trunked sycamore in my backyard....that thing is at least 100 ft tall...but it's a dirty beast. Also have the Osage Orange trees across the street, hedging the corn field.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Seasoned Osage orange (hedge) burns hotter than H*&%. It's good heating wood and campfire wood. I hate the needle like thorns.
    And it is harder than the hubs of H*&% when dry. Indians made bows from it.
    I do not care for the smell as a smoking wood and would not use it to smoke with. Absolutely not. Shame too, it's everywhere.
    Green Osage orange has a thick milky white sap that is really sticky. If you have a decent camp fire going you can burn green Osage orange without problem. Not in a stove though.
    Amazing stuff, it burns completely to a light fluffy bright white ash.
    But NOT smoking wood.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    I was wondering about Sycamore yesterday while picking up the hundreds of sticks that thing poops all over my yard in the winter. I have a beautiful triple trunked sycamore in my backyard....that thing is at least 100 ft tall...but it's a dirty beast. Also have the Osage Orange trees across the street, hedging the corn field.
    I have a couple of 60-70 footers in my yard. Aren't they a mess. Every time the wind blows they rain small branches and twigs, And just when you think that they have dropped all that they can drop, they drop even more. Not to even mention the little seed balls. Hit 'em with the mower and they go straight up your nose.

I wouldn't think they would be good for smoking. They aren't really a very hard wood, they are mostly water like a cottonwood.

If you try some. let us know.

I have a question: I tried alder in my now modified new smoker (osb. Kind of makes me angry that i pay money for something and have to rebuild it to make it work)and it was rather strong. Could this be because of poor ventilation? I am trying to find a local growing wood to use as a heat source. We do have cotton wood, could it work for heat?
    MY WIFE,
    MY MUZZLELOADER,
    MY DRUM.
    THERE IS A GOD

Of course it can be used for heat and smoke. This thread show some of the different woods that can be used for smoking and they can be used for heat. Although some of the stronger wood may give an undesired strength of smoke.

Some people are sold on the "pre-burning" method where you burn your wood in a seperate pit or other container and shovel the coals into your smoking pit then add your flavor wood to that.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
    I have a question: I tried alder in my now modified new smoker (osb. Kind of makes me angry that i pay money for something and have to rebuild it to make it work)and it was rather strong. Could this be because of poor ventilation? I am trying to find a local growing wood to use as a heat source. We do have cotton wood, could it work for heat?
    Alder is a fairly mild flavored wood. It should not be too strong. If you can tell us more about your rig and the wood you used ( was it seasoned, did you use logs, etc) we can help you out.

BTW, as to your sig line, what if you kill it and give it to somebody else to eat? I kill more than I want to eat.

Oh, and do you eat coyote?

You can cook with fir and pine. I have cooked with it while camping and never had a problem. The germans have Black Forest Ham, its cold smoked with pine / fir.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-black-forest-ham.htm

EDIT: I put this on the wrong thread. I'll drag it over to the cooking with pine thread.
    Last edited by Hell Fire Grill; 09-20-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Rusty Recycled Relics

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast