Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

7 members and 18 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yep , cherry covers a bunch by itself , but I think that pin cherry is OK but ornamental Sand cherry is bad . Like you said though , no list is all inclusive
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Does sand cherry=sand plum?

Also, I have read not to use sassafras? does anyone have any idea why not?

What I know of sassafras , it is a fairly dense hardwood.

I always thought it would be good, but never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Does sand cherry=sand plum?

Also, I have read not to use sassafras? does anyone have any idea why not?

What I know of sassafras , it is a fairly dense hardwood.

I always thought it would be good, but never tried it.
    Maybe its like mesquite, and tastes like chit?

I'm about to order some guava from Hawaii

Gonna order it from this guy, who seems okay:

http://www.hawaiiguava.com/

His name is Greg Kemp, and although not a member here, I have stumbled onto his name in about 10 or so lists/forums, but this is his business so he is spreading the word. I don't see him post much anywhere.

If putting this link in is not good, I'll edit/delete or please have mod/min do it.

It is not another forum, but just posted as a source
    Bill-Chicago

WSM, Bandera, Kettle, ECB, Kenmore Gasser 36qt Turkey Fryer

Quote Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
    All I was suggesting was a short list of the pine trees and the FEW deciduous trees that are not OK to smoke with . like ornamentals ect.
    There are NO pine or decidous trees that can be used to smoke!
    Like Joe said, its a common sense thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
    Ya , thanks It was just hearing " If it ain't on the list don't use it " that stuck in my craw
    I'd clear out that craw if i were you.....
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

Now, Bubba, be nice. It might be "common sense" to you, but Phil asked because he doesn't know. Everyone starts somewhere, and our job is to share the knowledge.

Phil, the reason you don't use deciduous trees is because they don't burn cleanly, due to the resin in the wood. Soft woods tend to produce a lot of creosote as they burn. This creosote makes the meat bitter. I've even heard the smoke from these woods might be poisonous, but that's only been a couple places, and I'm not going to test it.

Please note: all woods, even hickory, mesquite, and pecan, can produce creosote. Green woods don't burn well, so wood needs to dry out for a long time (like, 6 months to a year) before being used. Also, if a fire isn't getting enough oxygen, it won't burn cleanly, which also produces the creosote. That's why people who use all wood for cooks use small, hot fires and add fuel through the cook, rather than load it up and shut the dampers down to control the heat.

As for a "don't use" list, I've never seen one. Like Joe said, I think most lists are the easier-to-find woods. Generally, the advice is "Do some research before using," because there's a whole lot more woods that can't be used, versus the number that can. And if there's a question, it's better to be cautious.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    Now, Bubba, be nice. It might be "common sense" to you, but Phil asked because he doesn't know. Everyone starts somewhere, and our job is to share the knowledge.

Phil, the reason you don't use deciduous trees is because they don't burn cleanly, due to the resin in the wood. Soft woods tend to produce a lot of creosote as they burn. This creosote makes the meat bitter. I've even heard the smoke from these woods might be poisonous, but that's only been a couple places, and I'm not going to test it.

Please note: all woods, even hickory, mesquite, and pecan, can produce creosote. Green woods don't burn well, so wood needs to dry out for a long time (like, 6 months to a year) before being used. Also, if a fire isn't getting enough oxygen, it won't burn cleanly, which also produces the creosote. That's why people who use all wood for cooks use small, hot fires and add fuel through the cook, rather than load it up and shut the dampers down to control the heat.

As for a "don't use" list, I've never seen one. Like Joe said, I think most lists are the easier-to-find woods. Generally, the advice is "Do some research before using," because there's a whole lot more woods that can't be used, versus the number that can. And if there's a question, it's better to be cautious.
    Decidous (hardwood) trees are what we use to smoke with guys. I think you mean coniferous (cone bearing)

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
    Decidous (hardwood) trees are what we use to smoke with guys. I think you mean coniferous (cone bearing)
    See? We all have stuff to learn!

Thanks, Curt!
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Yer welcome.

No need to stand up for me TX , but thanks anyways , I was hoping Bubba would catch is mistake and correct it . I started tossin' the poo so understand that some poo may get tossed back

Yes , I think all the woods listed are deciduous trees , they lose thier leaves each year. But Bill also mentioned Guava , It's a tropical tree and is quote / unquote "evergreen", but still a hardwood or fruit tree .

As mentioned earlier , no list is all complete
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Has anyone tried Osage Orange/hedgewood? I've not read any mention of it good/bad in my reading. It's a hardwood, readily available along most streams, has been used for years as "natural" fence posts. It's a real ugly wood, no much other use for it other than firewood--very dense and has high BTU factor...

If it's useable, I have a pretty much unlimited supply of it.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast