Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

4 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Cold smoked, dehydrated mushrooms (again)

That time of the year again so...
    Cold smoked dehydrated mushrooms

Just like last year, I used store bought, sliced, frozen brown button mushrooms, sprinkled them with sea salt, placed them on absorbing paper for 3 hours to extract some of the water, rinsed them, cold smoked then dried them.

1 Kilo (2.2 pounds) yielded 48 grams (1.7 onces!) of dried, smoked mushrooms. Because the yield was so small, I did a second kilo the next day.

Cold smoked :
    First batch : 1 hour 40 minutes with small Oak sticks, splinters and dust (I ran out of cherry) at 30C (86F) maximum (only 5 minutes), otherwise maximum was 23C (73,5F).

I found that the first batch lacked a little smoke so...
    Second batch : 2 hours 20 minutes with small Oak sticks, splinters and dust at 19C (66F) maximum.

Dried :
    First batch : 15 hours at between 20,1C (≈ 68F) and 23.5 C (≈ 74F).
    Second batch : 16 hours at between 23,4C (≈ 74F) and 24.6 C (≈ 76F).

There were a lot of pieces that were very small so I reduced them to powder in my spice grinder (really a coffee grinder, they are a lot cheaper and work just as well). I think that the next time I make some beef sausages I will add a little of the mushroom powder.

Has anybody tried adding a mushroom flavor to a home made sausage?
    If so, what was the result like ?

Some pictures :
    Thawed out and salted:

In the cold smoker :

Not much color change (maybe a little less pink) :

Close up :

Half of the batch after drying :

Since I forgot to take a picture of the first batch before thawing here is the second batch before thawing out :

I think that next year I will go back to fresh mushrooms, it seems that when I used them in the past, I had a lot less loss.
    Cal
    Hardware : Cold smoker, Weber kettle copy, SFB stick burner, Weber Spirit E-310, Bullet

I didn't know they sold frozen mushrooms!
    We have a couple local mushroom farms .

What do you use the smoked mushrooms in?
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

I've forgotten all about this. I still want to do this since we have a mushroom farm not far away. How long do they keep in dehydrated condition and how do you store them?

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Buddy of mine likes to use ground dried Porcini mushrooms on his steak, they crust up nice. He buys his from Amazon.com but home made sounds better!
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

I usually add a few to a green salad while they last (which is not long !)

I cannot keep myself from opening the zip-lock (or jar) and eating one or two almost every time I go into the pantry !

The grinding is a new idea I had to try - I will try sausage first (unless someone here can give me a reason not to). Then maybe adding a little smokey mushroom flavor to a Bolognese sauce for pasta .

I do not know how long they keep, I keep them in an airtight jar (a jam jar) or zip-lock in a dark cool place,but they are always gone 6 months later
    Cal
    Hardware : Cold smoker, Weber kettle copy, SFB stick burner, Weber Spirit E-310, Bullet

I have a few questions and some ideas for next time. If you just want shroom flavor use white mushrooms. If you want to see and get bigger flavor i would go for portabellas. Slice them up an inch wide or in quarters. Or crimini, otherwise known as baby bellas. They are small portabellas. They are brown and look like whote mushrooms. Remember they shrink and wont come back all the way when you rehydrate. When you freeze mushrooms the cell walls break and they go to mush. The best place to buy shrooms is either gfs marketplace, a local produce supplier or make friends with a restaurant. They should order it for you. No prob and much cheaper. In sausage they are good but it takes a lot to get that shroomy flavor.

According to Wikipedia the "Champignons de Paris" that I use are portabellas. I find that the "brown" have more flavor. Over here the larger ones (about the size of a large tomato) are only used to be stuffed (like a tomato or bell pepper is stuffed) and are quite pricey - I do not buy them for smoking because the little woman does not care for "smoke" so they would only be for me.

The fruit and vegetable stores around here have a good selection of fresh, but you have to wash, peel and cut off the foot so in the end... buying fresh or frozen is just a price consideration.

Thanks for the advice for the sausage.
    Cal