Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 31

11 members and 20 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default No salt or low salt rubs

I recently underwent a triple bypass.Looking for some no salt or low sodium rubs.
    Appreciate any help!
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Pappy's makes a 50% reduced salt rub.
    Mel / Full Metal Pork / Comp Rig -- G2 Party-G2 Chubby-Chicken Little / BWS EXT Party

Daddy Hinkles has a low sodium version. Sea salt has about 35% less sodium than table salt.

Your young for a bypass. Hope your recovering well. It takes a while. Is the heart in good shape? Six years since my quadruple, and I'm better than before. Doc said my heart is healthy, so now I worry more about clogging the arteries again than I do salt. Stay on your meds and start slow when you get back on your feet. Time to manage that weight too.

Good luck Paul, I"ll say a prayer for you.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Salt is a carrier of flavor so to remove it from a rub means you need to amp up the flavor in your rub. Wet rubs are a good way to do this. You can also replace the Salt content in a rub blend with one of the many Mrs Dash varieties.
    Ancho-Espresso Dry Rub

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp ancho powder
    • 1 tsp espresso
    • 1/2 tsp onion powder
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp brown sugar
    • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
    • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/2 tsp chili powder (Chimayo red, substitute cayenne, reduce to .25 tsp)

Smoky Beer Wet Rub

1/4 cup beer
    1 medium sweet onion, diced
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon corn or canola oil
    Combine ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until onion is finely chopped forming thick puree. Makes 1 1/4 cups. Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.

SW Chipotle Rub
    Makes 2 to 3 cups
    • One 7-ounce can chipotle chilies in adobo
    • 1 white onion, chopped
    • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    • 1 lime, juiced
    • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, preferably Morton
    • 2 to 3 cups mayonnaise
    Instructions
    In a blender, mix the chipotles and adobo sauce, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Add the salt. Transfer to a large non-reactive bowl. Mix in 2 cups of the mayonnaise. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more mayonnaise if it is too hot. Coat food and marinate for 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally. The rub will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I'm sorry but sea salt does not contain less sodium than table salt.
    This was predicated as a marketing strategy that was used by producers of salt products. How they can make that statement is by how they were measuring the salt. Table salt is finer ground than sea salt therefore by volume sea salt has less sodium. There is less salt per teaspoon ( or other measurement ) of sea salt than table salt because of the size of the salt granules.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
    By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium. Read whole article at link.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...92_Article.jsp
    Both sea salt and table salt contain about 40 percent sodium. Unfortunately, many consumers havenít gotten that message. In an April 2011 survey by the American Heart Association, 61 percent of respondents said they believed sea salt is a low-sodium alternative to table salt. Read whole article at link.

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...n_regular_salt
    While gram for gram sea salts contain as much sodium as table salt, their larger crystals and unique flavors, derived from various sources, may result in your using less salt overall, Read whole article at link.

I have a couple good spice mix recipes for grilling ( I'll post them later ). Since my heart problems started I do more grilling than smoking. Grilling is very healthy for you. I still use the same rubs I always used when smoking, but I use less of the rub. Instead of rubbing it on real heavy, I use it in a shaker and apply a lighter coating.

Best of luck and listen to your Doctors.
    Jim

Thanks for that info Jim. My information came from the two containers of salt. Makes perfect sense. I don't use enough of either to make a difference, but I do use less of the sea salt just because of the unique flavor.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

I read somewhere that sea salt is recommended by some doctors because it requires so much less processing than ordinary salt out of the ground. They believe that it is the processing and refining that leads to health problems rather than the salt itself.

Either way, it should be used in moderation.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
    Thanks for that info Jim. My information came from the two containers of salt. Makes perfect sense. I don't use enough of either to make a difference, but I do use less of the sea salt just because of the unique flavor.
    I'm the same way, I use very little salt. In fact the Dr. told me to start using a little more salt in my daily routine. I have always had to contend with low blood pressure, especially since my bypass surgery.
    Jim

Thanks guys,

My heart is great.I am doing really well.I am losing weight every day .Except for first day off of lasics.I am taking a couple walks a day about 20 to 25 min each.My brothers and sisters have started to allow me to get around the kitchen a little as long as I behave.
    My son and brother are going to help me smoke a turkey today.
    I'll try and have someone help me post a picture.
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

Keep up the good work my friend.