usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 107

4 members and 103 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dry run

I have to disagree I tried the basket in Beulah never could get it to run right. I tossed it in the scrap pile and built a log rack. I add 1 split every 45 min or so to maintain my temps and I can run as hot as I want with a little intake adjustment.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Its funny that ya'll are replying right now, as I just finished up another dry run on this thing. I think I may be close to (temporarily) solving my problems, and it didnt require ripping off the old exhaust and welding a bigger one on... though I know that is the correct fix. I felt a little energetic this morn, so I went out with the old sidegrinder and cut the opening between the firebox and cooking chamber to a more appropriate size as per the bbq pit calculator. Then i rigged up a small fan that I had laying around. Placed it atop the exhaust to help pull heat and smoke through the pit. Filled just one chimney with a mix of hickory chunk and charcoal, honestly not expecting much different results, but lo and behold would you look at those temps? Before the mods today, it took almost 3 hours to get it up to about 210 and that was as high as it would go. Today, in less than an hour, it's running around 225. Now I noticed she likes to fluctuate quite a bit, so i'll prob have to babysit her a little more than I would like, but I can handle that. At least now I have temps that I can cook with. I appreciate all the advice. I know one of these days I'ma have to just deal with the exhaust pipe issue, but for now, i'm gonna try to decide what to cook.
    bbq photo 3.jpgbbq photo 2.jpgbbq photo.jpg

Glad to see you using your noodle. If you position the fan to blow across the end of the pipe it will increase efficiency 40% by creating a low pressure area( venturi effect) at the end of the pipe giving you even more draw.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Isn't it strange how 2 different people do the identical things and yet they have different results?

Glad you got it going. That was some good engineering.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2