usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 19

5 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry run

Default Dry run

Here we go again. Runnin her through a dry run to see if I can get temps up. So far, as you can see, I have cracked the lid to firebox open. Using about a chimney and a half of kingsford bricks, and about ten chunks of hickory. With the firebox door cracked, wood is burning good, and temps are already higher than the other day. We will see how high she goes like this. She is taking her sweet time to come up, but I have a feeling once I reach temp, it's gonna hold for a long time. Only issue I see now is all the smoke. Some smoke is good, but it's been billowing like you see in the pic the entire time. Might not be so good on food. Hmm... The experimenting continues...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephenislegend; 09-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.

i bet she calms down once she's up to temp.......thin and blue

22' reconstructed Weber
    Iron man- old red ecb w/ super mods
    AquaLung - UDS

Red face

Dump the kingsford. A chimney and a half of briquets is not gonna run that offset. Find some expanded metal and build a charcoal basket. Fill it with lump and a few pieces of wood for smoke. Open the exhaust all the way and control the temp with the intake. If you can't get the temp down with the intake almost closed, then use the exhaust to bring it down to where you want it. Billowy white smoke, or black smoke is a bad thing. Thin blue good.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Thanks for the input. You are echoing what others said the other day. I think a few recommended I use wood only. The briquettes were mainly just to light the wood. I have been tossing more wood on and leaving the firebox door cracked and it is coming up now... veeeeeeeeery slowly. I started the coals at 5:15 or so, and now its 7:15 and my temps are just now hitting around 210. That is a problem. I cant work with a two hour warmup time. I will def try lump next time, and try to use wood primarily. Guess the only thing I dont get is how NOT to oversmoke the meat using wood only. Every time i add a piece of wood, it goes to billowing white smoke again. This is definitely a learning process. I appreciate all of the input I can get.

And on getting a charcoal basket made. I am looking into it now. I have suspected the coal pan that i'm currently using to be one of my problems. I feel like that is something I need to tend to like yesterday.

I see thick white smoke coming out of your pit. The fire is not getting enough air because the smoke is backing up choking the fire. If you increase your stack size to 4-5" dia it will solve 70% of the issue. Switching to all wood will seal the deal. In short you need a bigger exhaust to increase the draft. The more air you pass through the pit the cleaner the smoke & the hotter the fire. I don't recommend charcoal as a heat source in an off set nor do I see the benifit of a charcoal basket. Offsets are all about air flow to much fuel blocks the air to the fire and stuffing a basket in the box takes up airspace. With the small exhaust it will make things worse. it would be like trying to breath through a folded up wet towel while running a marathon or driving your car with a plugged up air filter.

If you want to cook with charcoal that ECB is a better weapon off sets are not designed to run on the stuff and are not set and forget like a UDS.
    Last edited by BluDawg; 09-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Blu, I think you hit the nail on the head. I've been saying from the get go that I feel I have an air flow issue. The aggravating part is that I had a 4" pipe for exhaust, and my welder took it upon himself to use what he had on hand, cause he thought "lightening" the weight of the pit was more important than operation.

So here I sit with a 2" pipe and not enough air moving through the pit. I know, I can be cut off and a bigger exhaust welded on, just a pain in the butt. This sucker weighs a TON. Guess I'll see if there is a local welder who can come fix me up at my house rather than bringing it to them.

In the meantime, your saying no basket, and no charcoal. So, just build a wood fire in the bottom of the firebox? Ugh... The learning curve is the most frustrating part. But the payoff will be sooooo worth it.

Basically yes, you need a rack that will position the base of the fire above the intake.A fire is a bottom feeder it sucks air from the bottom and releases heat energy out the top, good air flow through and around the fire makes for a clean fire that will give of the Sweet Blu or even invisible smoke & that is the good stuff.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

If you are using wood only and want to avoid oversmoking, try adding hot coals to your firebox rather than unburned wood. That should keep the thin blue. May be kid of a PIA, but last time I cooked on an off-set, I kept some logs burning in a separate pit. Then transferred as needed to keep up the temp.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I've just seen the good pic of your smoker for the first time. Thumbnail pics on a phone just suck. I must agree with dawg on the exhaust. its too small and too high. I would make it bigger and move it down to grate level. As far as the charcoal and basket go, I don't agree . i've owned a chargriller offset for several years. It was an almost impossible task to maintain and control temps with straight pecan or hickory. Using lump tamed the beast. Some offsets are just not very well designed and are greatly improved with charcoal. Its just inheriently burns more even. Important for a novice smoker or lazy smoker. The basket is just a little more convenient for loading and cleanup.

That said, that smoker begs for some nice splits, but its gonna take several cooks to learn the cooker.

I also see your fire box door propped open. More evidence of not enough exhaust.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast