So I recently started cooking some dutch oven dishes, I have a small collection of dutch ovens ranging from 10 - 14", with a few deep lid camp ovens.

I also started to compete in a couple of dutch oven contests as well.

Dutch oven contests have a limited time to cook 3 different dishes in, the dishes tend to be a dessert, a bread and a main course.

The dessert is turned in first, the least amount of time to cook a dessert is around 3 hours, and the most around 5, the bread is turned in 30 - 45 minutes behind the dessert and the mains 30 - 45 behind the bread.

Competition dutch oven is a fun family event, and from setting up to awards is 6 to 7 hours total, there are food judges and walking around judges, with the walking around judges they are checking for a clean, neat, food safety consciousness and awareness. The judges that get to eat, are often championship winning cooks, and you can gain extra points for difficulty and execution.

The only limits are on the time you have to prep and cook your food, and on your imagination!

This was my first competition cook, July 20th.

Dessert Baked Alaska
Bread Everything Challah Braided.
Mains Stuffed Pork Belly on a Ratatouille Casserole

My dessert is the center back row with the browned top.

Center front still in the dutch.

Left hand end, stuffed rolled pork belly on ratatouille casserole.

The Baked Alaska failed due to the heat of the day, the whole thing slumped, tasted great, chocolate cake, strawberry ice cream and meringue topping.

I would have liked a little more color on the pork too, but I ran out of time, another 20 - 30 minutes would have produced a better result.

At the end of the long hot day, we had had a great time, I think my son will turn in to a good cook, and we are definitely going to cook in some more Dutch Oven cook offs.

We learned some worthwhile lessons, and we're going to move forward from here! :wink: