usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 44

6 members and 38 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new to forum

Default new to forum

I never join forums but I am building a new smoker and started searching for research and this forum looks to be a gold mine of information!

Welcome to the forum! What kind of smoker are you building? Post some pics when you get a chance.

I am still in the design stage, but i am looking at small trailers at Harbor Freight. I have a friend that can get me good deals on steel. I think I want to go 30 inches deep 42 inches wide horizontal drum with side fire box. still learning about baffles and flow. I would really like to see pics of yours. You have the smoke stack on the end by the fire box? These are the things I am looking to learn

Welcome aboard, jb!
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Welcome!
    dave - Little Dixie

Brinkman SnP w/ Afterburner
    BBQ Grillware Stainless

Welcome aboard
    GOSM Big Block
    ECB

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbpop2 View Post
    I am still in the design stage, but i am looking at small trailers at Harbor Freight. I have a friend that can get me good deals on steel. I think I want to go 30 inches deep 42 inches wide horizontal drum with side fire box. still learning about baffles and flow. I would really like to see pics of yours. You have the smoke stack on the end by the fire box? These are the things I am looking to learn
    Sounds like a decent sized pit... Remember to build it bigger than you think you will ever need! You will filling it up to capacity in no time I bet!

Here is a link to some various pics of some of my smokers.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...albumview=grid

Didn't realize your pit was that big James. That is a nice set-up.
    And welcome JB, there is a ton of info around here.

Welcome to The Joint JB.

You can find out anything you need to know here. Bring us specific Qs and we'll supply specific As (and opinions as well).

As for a trailer, you might want to reconsider the cheapies at Harbor frieght. You'll be looking a lightweight springs and small wheels and tires.

A good used boat trailer can be had cheap and will carry a fair amount of weight. You can also cut them down if you need to. You will prolly want something that uses standard car or truck tires.

If I were building one, I would reconsider the offset. A large tube with an internal firebox is much more fuel efficient. With an offset firebox, all the heat just escapes into the air. With an internal box, that same heat is used in cooking.

Talk to the Shortone about that.

Welcome to the joint, jbpop2. Lots of friendly folks here.

Thanks Tim for the good words about Buela. She doesn't have a large appetite, but has a real hot spot. With the amount of meat I have ran through her, I have learned to live with it. jb, I used a pair of 13 inch VW Rabbit rear spindles under my smoker. Just what I had and would probably be tough to replace if ever the need arrises. You could probably pick up spindles and hubs reasonable at store like TSC if that interests you. Like Okie said though, an old boat trailer can be modified to work. I will probably get one and use the tongue, axle, and springs on the next one I build if Buela ever gives up on me.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast