Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

1 members and 34 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: Thermometers

Default Thermometers

O.K. I know this has been gone over a gazillion times, but here goes again.

I have used a turkey fryer thermometer in the past (12" probe), quality on these suck , I then bought a Brinkman 3" diel with only a very short probe like 1 or 2 inches. Readings on these units are all over the board so I laied my digital meat probe on the grill surface and went by that. Temps varied from300+ on the turkey fryer. 160 on the Brinkman and 225 to 260 on the meat probe.

I have since bit the bullet and ordered a Maverick ET732 dual probe unit.

Is it my junky thermos or do the temps vary that much. Yes I checked both with boiling water at 212*, dead on.

Maybe I'm looking for something I can't get.

Thanks
    Jim
    Charbroil Gas grill, Weber Performer (97 Mod), 40 yr old barrel top grill and a UDS.

Talking

Jim, maybe I'm a little slow tonight, but I'm not sure what your asking. I do know from experience that laying a meat probe on the grill will give a big false reading and ruin the probe. Cheap dial therms can vary as much as 75 degrees or more. I have one on my chargriller.

Hope this helps.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

I would trust the meat probe first. Dial therms suck *** unless you invest in something like a Tel-tru brand. (See USBBQSUPPLY ). An ambient probe should not make contact with the cooking surface as the steel temp will not be accurate of air temp around the meat. The ET732 comes with a handy clip to hold up the probe but a lot of guys just use a small potato and pierce it with the probe. I use the same ET732 and have been very happy with results. Although, the probes are not bomb proof, so be careful with them. Maverick has replaced one of mine under warranty once and SmokyOkie offered to help out if needed. However, I only rely on the ET732 to give me general info about the condition of my offset. Like alarming when temp drops. As I reach the end of my cook I still rely on my Thermapen. I happen to have the fastest lime green one around. Much faster than say blue or red!
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

Are you using these on a drum? If you are, just puta thermo onte se ofth grate an dforgot about the temp in the middle of te drum Normal thermal convection currents drafting up from the fire source will move all over the place. he temp about3 or 4 inches from the edge of the drum is what matters.

The Maverick 732 will make cooking easier. Indoors or away from the cooker you can monitor temps with the remote.