Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

6 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for an Electric Smoker?

I have heard of the Masterbuilt, seems to have a seal problem from what I have seen on the web, has this been fixed?

Any others I should look at?
    Bill Rigsby - Divide, CO @ 9,375'

I have looked at the MES at Sam's. The seal could be installed better, but it is an intermittent problem I think. Of the choices in the electric, if I were set on getting one, I would go with the MES.

The Brinkman gourmet is small and harder to control temps from what I understand.

Masterbuilt stands behind their product with customer service if you have a problem too. I think some have used a silicon to hold the seal down better.

Let us know what you decide on.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    I have looked at the MES at Sam's. The seal could be installed better, but it is an intermittent problem I think. Of the choices in the electric, if I were set on getting one, I would go with the MES.

The Brinkman gourmet is small and harder to control temps from what I understand.

Masterbuilt stands behind their product with customer service if you have a problem too. I think some have used a silicon to hold the seal down better.

Let us know what you decide on.
    I would go with MES but when I started a Brinkman gourmet fit the budget since I was unsure of my ability to create decent Que. (I saw a brinkman for 79.99 at lowe's recently -that is +30.00 from when I bought mine maybe 10-12 months ago)

A PigC says, with no temp control (rheostat) on the Brinkman, you have no real control of temps except via venting the lid or wrapping it. This works but I found if I was going to mess with that, why not just use a drum and learn how to manage fire?
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

hey everyone, anyone know how the smokers that run on propane are? seems like the best solution for me so far? let me know if you guys have an opinion (who am i kidding huh LOL)

Should be under a new topic Jake

Gas smokers work well. I have a GOSM (actually 2, just use the one though) I have smoked tons of stuff in it and have no problems. Check out the forums for the gas smokers.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

For less than any of them cost, you can build a drum with very little effort and have a bigger, better smoker that makes better tasting Q.

Quote Originally Posted by billrigsby View Post
    I have heard of the Masterbuilt, seems to have a seal problem from what I have seen on the web, has this been fixed?

Any others I should look at?

You could look @ The Brinkman Electric . The watt burner is the heat source and you add the flavor enhancer wood of choice . The best " Q " comes from the heart with your rub and cooking procedure . The meat knows not what the heat source is . Say you use lump charcaol ~ that would be your heat source and then you add wood as a flavor enhancer . If you smoke a pork butt for 16 to 17 hours you get the same results on an electric with wood flavor enhancer as you do with lump with a wood flavor enhancer . It's up to the COOK . It's the COOK not the equipment that makes the best "Q" .

You must ask yourself why the Cookshack electric is ILLEGAL to use at comps .

Over the years I have owned 5 of the (ECB) el CHEPO BRINKMAN smokers with the water pan. One was a charcoal and 3 were the electric model (electric elements burnt out) and a propane one. I have used the propane one for 5 or 6 years and did so until I built my first drum. I have taken the propane ECB to the lake and use it most weekends there. My DRUM is superior but the ECB still makes for great "Q".

Only problem with the ECB propane is it is hard to get temp above 225-250. I have insulated mine and can do a little better with a pan full of water. If it runs out of water then the temps will shoot up to over 300 in the center with no problems but that is not the way the Brinkman is to operate.

MY vote buy a propane one or do as Smokieokie says and build a UDS. i love mine and the way it smokes.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

You love yours. Which one the propane or UDS you have both?
    Oscar

3 UDS, Treager pellet pooper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast