Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

5 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Find a 22 1/2 Weber kettle lid, should fit. Did on mine.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Quote Originally Posted by Short One View Post
    Find a 22 1/2 Weber kettle lid, should fit. Did on mine.
    That's what I was going to say.
    I prefer the Weber lid.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

In hind site you could have cut 2" below the rim and added a 2" band of flat stock on the inside leaving a 1" lip for a slip fit.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    Put Ratchet strap around the drum near the top with a small piece of wood on the high sides under the strap, Tension it slowly until the lid fits properly then squeeze it a little more so it doesn't spring back,

After looking at the pictures this answer is right on! You are just a little out of round. Should be fixable! Push in on one side and it will push out.

I have confidence that you will get it.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Thanks for all the replys guys every bit of advise helps.. I would use a kettle top from a weber but to be honest I like the true ugly drum look ;-).that ratchet strap idea is brillent!!! Going to have to try that ive just been rolling it pulling on it eyeing it up but I grt one side then the other side is off lol... im trying to do this whole project no weld since im 21 and in college so I can just be rolling a welding set around without it being considered a danger lol. This thing is for me and my buddys to tail gate pitt gMes steeler gams and them good old pirates and the paint job will reflect that lol.. another question im puting 3/4 black pipe nipples on for air flow what size hole do I need to drill to fit the outside of the pipe also can I use a piece of 2" diameter galvanised pipe for my smoke stack will that thread right into the bigger lid opening on the lid.

Default hey bud

i used a rubber mallet as mine was also tight. eventually after a few cooking session it remains tight and still use the mallet - but its better and seal tight as well

Quote Originally Posted by mattd1992 View Post
    Hey guys new to the forum and allready in need of help..
    Ive revieved a food grade drum from my dads work of course to my disliking it was a closed head drum. Ive succefully ground and the chiseled the lid off my problem is that now some how my drum warped? And now my lid has to be forced down into position and let me tell you its a workout to get it back out..its nice becouse it seals super tight but sucks becouse its a strugfle to fet the dang thing off again... any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks for all the replys guys every bit of advise helps.. I would use a kettle top from a weber but to be honest I like the true ugly drum look ;-).that ratchet strap idea is brillent!!! Going to have to try that ive just been rolling it pulling on it eyeing it up but I grt one side then the other side is off lol... im trying to do this whole project no weld since im 21 and in college so I can just be rolling a welding set around without it being considered a danger lol. This thing is for me and my buddys to tail gate pitt gMes steeler gams and them good old pirates and the paint job will reflect that lol.. another question im puting 3/4 black pipe nipples on for air flow what size hole do I need to drill to fit the outside of the pipe also can I use a piece of 2" diameter galvanised pipe for my smoke stack will that thread right into the bigger lid opening on the lid.
    3/4" pipe nipples require a 1" dia hole here's a build tip thread a conduit nut on one side of the close nipple so that the crown is pointing to the center of the nipple then screw the nipple in from the inside. put 2 1" flat washers over the nipple on the outside and install the outer nut with the crown facing away from the drum. This method will keep the nipples tight. I my self hate loose nipples I use PVC pipe caps. They are cheap and you don't have to worry about rust sizing them up.

You can use 2" pipe for your exhaust but is really isn't necessary for proper operation. I run on the 2" bung.

Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

The smoke stack is more for looks than anything for just adds a little pop of look what I made and you dont have lol

The smoke stack is more for looks than anything for just adds a little pop of look what I made and you dont have lol
    I like a smoke stack as well. Some claim it helps with up-draft, but I just like it for cool factor.

I used a 2" Close pipe nipple, which will screw into a 2" bung on any drum lid. Then go to an auto parts store and buy a 2" chrome tail pipe extension. Slash-cut, straight-cut, turn out, turn down, whatever. Something like these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...0067/C0022.oap

They come with a set screw so you can tighten it onto your 2" close pipe nipple. Then screw the whole thing into the bung, and you have a nifty, cool lookin' smoke stack.

Here's one I did on my first drum It's a shiny black chrome.

When you are done cookin', simply unscrew the pipe nipple/chrome exhaust tip assembly from the bung hole and replace it with the original bung plug to snuff out the fire.

Easy, cool lookin' and cheap. But as Dawg said, unnecessary.

Your call. That's my
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Tomshoots link didnt work but that loos awesome it doesnt have to benifit the smoker in anyway for me im just going for the badass factor with it lol . Also quick side note can I use any wood pallet s to burn this thing out or should I be carefull. Becouse my buddys dads buisssness has them in boat loads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast