» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

0 members and 35 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smoked Salmon Fillet

Smoked a salmon fillet ala SmokyOkie. Sprinkled with a bit of Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic and drizzled with honey, smoked with apple. Spooned the honey over the salmon a couple times as a baste during the smoke. First time for salmon, turned out a bit drier than I prefer, but tasty. Just a matter of timing. I love smoked salmon!
    Attached Images
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Hi Mike

I haven't yet found Tim's (ie Smoky's) thread on smoking Salmon, but just looking at your pictures, I have a couple thoughts...

First, from the appearance of the uncooked fish, it seems you are using "wild" west coast salmon, which is undoubtable the best that you can get, far better than the farm raised Atlantic; but here we can get fresh Steelhead and Arctic Char, which are at least as good, and available in "off season" if you didn't remember to "invest" in frozen sockeye fillets...

It looks like you know to cut the gut viscera away, as this is non-permeable to any rub or seasoning (but there may be newbies to the art reading this that are unaware of that vital point!)

Some doubt in my mind whether the skin is permeable to smoke or spice, and its nice to have both sides of the fillet taste the same, so I skin this off and give it the "full body rub"...

A simple "soak" in Italian Salad Dressing for a short period can be a nice method, or use French Salad Dressing...

Rather than using tinfoil, its a great thing to put this on the grill (I know, I know, I know, you guys are using "smokers") on a cedar plank (West Coast Cedar, about 3/16" thickness) that has bean soaked for a couple hours and salted in sea salt) with wood chips, turning it periodically, until the meat is "dore" (pronounced "dorey") and sort of a golden orange colour. Yes, it will be drier than perhaps you like...(sadly, the females of the "DOH" tribe affect to like everything well done, where the males don't want it anything better than medium rare, but I digress)

For "smoke", the West Coast Indians have created this cooking method over 10,000 odd years, and their favoured "smoke" was alder and willow. I don't deny that apple, maple, and such others can give good results. Likewise, for a marinade, you can probably find Daddy Hinkles sauce that does some pretty incredible things with salmon, far better than Lee + Perrins...

My "opinion", of course!

John

I'd question leaving the skin on the fillet

Looks good Mike, and good info John. My first try a couple weeks ago was not a good effort. I did leave the skin on, and will remove next time.

About how long does a piece like that smoke for?
    Mike

Weber Smokey Mountain
    Weber 22" Performer
    Weber 18" One Touch
    UDS
    Thermapen, ET73, Polder, 2 Accu-Rite

John, sounds like you know alot about this. I did a small fillet a while back and used a dry brine. I liked it, was too fishy for wife and kids, m-i-l loved it(but it was free, she'll take anything free).

Have you ever done this? If I remember right it had a ton of brn sugar in it, but I have slept since then and so.......

Thanks

John, your info would be a good sticky if ya don't mind.

don't want to "bust" your thread Mike, sorry.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Those pics sure look good to me Mike. If you don't want it just send it to BigAL in KS. They'll get it to me

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Don't really know which "Mike" I am replying to, but cooking time "will vary", according to the thickness of your fillet(s)...

The bottom line is "when it flakes nicely", and again, when it gets that nice "dore" finish from the smoke, in my own opinion and taste, cook it longer rather than shorter, the smoke will do marvellous things.

I have heard of, but bever done a maple glaze on salmon. Maybe something I should try! But to my OWN taste (emphasizing its my OWN taste) I wouldn't put sugar on any other fish, and salmon tastes great on its own...

I'm in Canada, and so Daddy Hinkles can be difficult or expensive to access, and so my substitution of Italian or French Salad as a marinade.

Again as a "rub" Daddy Hinkles is a favourite, but the cedar plank is the "real secret" salted heavily with sea salt... I kind of like peppers with the fish, but you can't grill them on, or they taste "burnt", and its "chancy" to try hot sauce with your rub...sometimes its "right" and sometimes you get it mixed up...

But do peel the bones, skin and viscera and try the "full body rub", wherever your tastes lead you, using as much "smoke" as tickles your taste buds....it'll be a bit different for all of us!

John

Gotta say I appreciate all the good input! It was my first go at smoking fish. And I love smoked salmon!
    I don't think SmokyOkie has posted his salmon method. But I followed it when I did the salmon. Had to put it on the foil to retain the honey. It melts to a watery consistancy and the fish sits in it. Like I said, I spooned it over the fish as a baste a couple times. I just need to get my time down.
    Daddy Hinkel's sounds interesting. I use it on mushrooms and other things.
    Do you just fillet the meat off the skin?
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Yep-that simple-get the knife out and peel the skin off!

John

The more I think of this the less I like the idea of glazing the salmon with honey or syrup...that's going to shield it from the "smoke" (I grant the point it might work "really late" in the process) but personal preference is to marinate in Daddy Hinkles or equivalent, rub with Daddy Hinkles or Chef Paul's or equivalent, and "plank" the fillet, with all sorts of coarse sea salt on the plank, if not the fish itself...(funny how an ocean fish like salmon tastes better if salt is added)

Someone asked about timing "in the smoke or on the grill", and 35 minutes was mentioned, but I think that this is sort of "minimal"; you'll want to be working with the "top down" as much as possible to expose both sides of the skinned salmon to the cedar and the smoke, and get it really "dore", which comes some time after it starts to "flake"

And some time after it starts to get "done" as opposed "dore", you could start adding fresh ground pepper, as it really does taste better "blackened" a bit, but you don't want the pepper to be burnt by long exposure to the grill.

I don't honestly know where Smoky was going with the honey (or maple syrup?) on the fish, but if used, then yes, it might cause a muck of a fess on the grill, it would carmelise very quickly if it didn't "carbonise" almost immediately, but plainly that would be why you had to hide the fillets in the foil, which masks them from the smoke, in my opinion.
    So, "have some fun" and do some "experiments" according to your own taste points!
    All of this can be rolled over to fresh rainbow trout, Lake Trout and the like with near equal success!

Best Regards

John

John D sounds like you might have done this once or twice. I want to try some of your Salmon some day - shoot for that matter any fish you want to smoke would be great with me.

We really appreciate your input on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast