usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

7 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is "IT" and Do I need to clean "IT"?

Hi All
    Stupid question what is that black stuff on the side of my smoker..Is "IT" creosote/pealing paint/grease or whatever, and should "IT" be cleaned/removed? If "IT"needs to be cleaned what would be the best way.My smoker is a Master Forge electric vertical Smoker. Only used about a dozen times.
    Thanks Dan
    DSC01510.jpg

It's creosote and yes it needs to be cleaned out.

This could account for bitter taste, off tastes, and even a little numbness of the lips when eating food cooked in there.

Did you read your instruction manual before using this smoker??
    I have seen smokers 5-6 years old that don't have that much buildup in them.
    How much wood are you using when you smoke something?? Are you adding more wood throughout the cook??and are you soaking the wood in water?? Are you wrapping in foil pouches?? How much and what color is the smoke that comes out the top vent??

With that much build-up you will most likely have to scrape, then brush the sides, and then use a citrus cleaner to get it clean.
    Jim

Hi I use very little wood dry chunks,maybe 1 or 2. Most of the time I only smoke for 1-4 hrs.Food still taste really good.
    Lately my ribs take on a blackish color.
    I thought "IT" was the black paint pealing off the smoker. Smoke color thin blue or white smoke.I did season the smoker before using,just like the instructions said.

Thanks Dan

That would be Creosote build up! White Billowing smoke will make that happen, causes not enough heat or not enough exhaust. Sine you cant increase the temp you Can add more exhaust by drilling 4-6 3/4" holes in the lid that should help fix the problem. It is time for a trip to the Car wash to blast that nasty stuff out and a RE-seasoning.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

The deposits are all above your cooking grate indicating two distinct heat zones. Below the grate you have much higher temp than above. That causes the deposits to condense on the cooler portion above the grate. Appears you maybe had a lot of food on the grate which impeded bottom up heat flow and created the cooler area above. Or it may just run that way? Not familiar with the smoker so it's hard to say.
    If your food has been black that could very well be creosote, it gives a bitter taste that may numb your tongue.
    I saw a YouTube vid on a charcoal version of a smoker like yours -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxyeZaNjKHo
    Note his comment on temp difference between the two thermometers. Curious.
    He uses a "diffuser" above the fire pan that might help. A water pan such as the one in the classic Brinkman "ECB" filled with playground sand would do the same thing.
    I do not like the pipe and nipple thing but you wouldn't need it anyway being electric.
    And a pass with a wirebrush inside the smoker every few cooks would be a good idea.
    Good luck with it and keep us posted.
    Last edited by peculiarmike; 01-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Me, I would just only worry about the flaking getting on food. A quick brushing and I would be fine. And yes, it IS creosote.

OK guys thanks for the fast replies, and suggestions. Will get "IT" cleaned and reasoned before my next smoke. What is the name of the citrus cleaner?
    My smoker: http://www.lowes.com/pd_332739-42600...ical&facetInfo=

Thanks Again Dan
    PS All the smoked food tasted good? Also have the water pan filled with sand,to better stabiles the temps.
    Last edited by DanBono; 01-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.

If you are using a sand filled water pan that is the cause of your temp difference. I was unaware you were using it. It's function is to keep high direct heat off your food, without it you would basically be grilling.
    You say the food tasted good.
    I think if you just wire brush the interior of your smoker after every 2-3 cooks you should be good. No need to field strip it and scrub each time.

"If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

As a manufacturer of a full line of citrus cleaners, I personally would not use one on the inside of a cooking device. there are way too many volatile aromatic compounds involved. A good butly cleanr such as formula 409 or greased lightning will do fine. I might add that in all my cookers for well over 20 years, I have never done any more to clean the walls that to brush off the flaky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    As a manufacturer of a full line of citrus cleaners, I personally would not use one on the inside of a cooking device. there are way too many volatile aromatic compounds involved. A good butly cleanr such as formula 409 or greased lightning will do fine. I might add that in all my cookers for well over 20 years, I have never done any more to clean the walls that to brush off the flaky stuff.

I too have never deep cleaned my grills or smokers, just a wire brush will do.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast