Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

5 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Making Sauerkraut with a Harsch Crock

I didn't see this posted anywhere on here, but sauerkraut is a natural side to go with sausage. And here is a simple easy way to make it yourself.

You don't have to buy a special crock, any stoneware crock will work. This is a 10L model I am using.

The advantage to this crock is the airlock at the top.
    This keeps the air and insects out of the crock.

The lid uses a hole to let the air out.

It also comes with weights to hold the cabbage down.

Ok since you are dealing with fermentation, it's very important to make sure EVERYTHING is sterilized. You don't want any stay bacteria growing in the crock. I like to use bleach water myself.

Also you want to select the best juiciest cabbage you can find. I have used store boughten before, but it is normally dry inside when you get it. Homegrown is MUCH better. Also don't use Table Salt with this, it has Iodine and it will kill the fermentation process, use only Sea Salt, or Pickling Salt.

Ok after you have selected the cabbage and the salt, start by cutting and shredding the cabbage. I use the Kichenaid with Shredder.

Start by mixing the salt with the cabbage, the ratio is roughly 5lbs cabbage to 3 Tbs salt. Here I am adding salt as I go, it is important to ensure that every piece of cabbage has been salted.

And pack it down to squeeze all the air out.
    I am using a plastic masher here, so it doesn't react with the salt.

Keep adding cabbage and salt until it is full.

Next add the weights.

Cabbage will make it's own brine, but if the cabbage is to dry it will not make enough to cover the cabbage. In that case you will have to make a little extra. Start with 1 TBs salt to 1 Cup water, and bring to simmer to dissolve the salt. After that add a little ice to cool it back down.

Here the crock is full.

Next find a place to sit this in the house, not to warm and not to cold, a closet or a back room will be fine.

And add water to the top air lock at the top.

Let it sit for 6 to 8 weeks checking on the water every couple of days.

When you think it is finished, remove the lid and you will probably find some "bloom", just remove this.

It's ready to eat, cook or can.

The Harsch Gairtopf Miracle Fermenting Crock Pot can be purchased on-line, and comes in several sizes. Or you can use any stoneware crock and a dinner plate for a weight. One method is to use a 1 quart mason jar filled with water on top of a plate as a weight. If you use a regular crock keep it covered with a towel. During the Fermenting process you will notice the smell of cabbage, this is normal.

You can add withever you want to crock, purple cabbage, carrots, spices, you can use this method to Ferment green beans or other veggies, but the process will vary somewhat.

ENJOY!!!
    I like Hog!!

A day without Pork is like a day without Sunshine.

Nice!! I'd give that a whirl if my sweetie liked kraut as much as I do. That's cool though. Thanks for sharing!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Nice, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for sharing!!!
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John