usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

6 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Capps bbq, tulsa

Saw as new bbq restaurant open up so had to try it. Capp's bbq. 11th street just west of Delaware, across from Tulsa welding school. The place was clean with the normal bbq joint, and local sports team decorations on the wall. Placed order at the walk up counter then filled my drink glass and found a place to sit. We were the first customers of the day, and a line quickly formed at the counter. After a 15 minute wait they called my name and announced that my order was ready. I made my way back to the counter, and was surprised with having to break thru the order line to pick up my tray, then back thru the line to return to my table. I thought this was a little strange and kinda inconvienent. I didn't really like having other customers faces directly over my food while cutting thru the line. Got backto my table and was excited. The brisket had a nice smoke ring, pulled pork looked great, and two spares had a nice color. I ordered the steak fries as one of my sides. I knew they were probably frozen just by the looks of them.

I grabbed a rib first. One bite and the bone was bare. Now I like my ribs a little overdone, but these were mushy. Next was the PP. Texture was good, but flavor was lacking and a little on the dry side. Ok, on to the brisket. To me, brisket is the absolute tops on a plate of bbq. Dissapointment rapidly set in. It was extremely dry, tough, and totally flavorless. Ok, lets drown it in sauce and move on with lunch. The sauce smelled heavily of vinegar and tasted more like taco sauce. I always take my leftovers home in a go box, but heres what I left uneaten on my plate.

I think they used the same rub on eveything.

The saving grace was the baked beans. They were actually very good. However, i spent the rest of the day with some extrememly bad gas. Dang near got run out of the bedroom.

I'm giving Capps bbq two thumbs down. I will not return.

Yes, I'm a bbq snob.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

I can't really tell abotu the ribs because of the camera angle, but I could tell the pork and beef were bad just by looking. I showed the pic to the Okette and she said ugh!.

That reminds me very much of what I was served at another midtown Q joint, Albert G's.

I don't think you have to be a BBQ snob to turn your nose up to that, but yes, you are a BBQ snob.

Oh, BTW, was the prok pulled or chopped?

Sorry for the crummy food.
    The pickles look great.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Bummer on the meal!

nice toast!
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

Pretty sad when you are the first ones there and everything is already poor, if it ain't good at the start, it sure isn't going to get better.
    FBJ

say, is this what replaced the original Capp's in Okmulgee. I've read some local blogs that read similar to your post. Even they recommend Burn Co. or Oklahoma Joe's.

Funny thing, I never read anyone recommending Rib Crib.
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

You won't find anyplace like Burnco anywhere. Everything is cooked on a Hasty Bake.

Not 5 star by any means, but everything there is really good, and if you don't think so, just tell Adam or Robbie, and they won't let you leave unsatisfied.

Jwb, this is the Capps from Okmulgee.

Why would anyone recommend rib crib?
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

They do have a decent sandwich or two Curt.