» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 41

0 members and 41 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Remote Thermometers

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it made the most sense to me. Have been looking for info on remote thermometers. The only ones that seem to be available and have info that I can get in a duel probe design are by Maverick Ind. The ET-73 seems to be the better choice as I could always make a bracket to use the second probe to measure ambient temp inside of the smoker or use it as a food probe. Found one site that listed the DSP1 by CDN. Can't find any info on this company or their thermometer. There seems to be a unit by Sharper Image as well but their web site is "under construction or re construction".

Am trying to find out what the people here use and recommend. Am tired of running out the door and around the house to check temps. Can look off of the deck to see smoker temp, and that does help, but there has to be an easier way!!

Let me know what works, or even if there are other choices, PLEASE!

Thanks!

Never Play Leapfrog With A Unicorn!
    David

Tejas 1628CC
    Charbroil Commercial Series Gas Grill
    Basic Black UDS

David, welcome to the Joint. Folks here use several different makes and models of therms. All serve the purpose and help produce good Q. Personally all of mine came from Walmart. Others got theirs from Lowe's, HD, on line or where ever. Might look in the margin and click on Oregon Scientific under TQJ supporting vendors and give them a look. I see the how a dual probe could be handy, but personally I use two cheapy's and get the same results. If you buy from the supporting vendor I believe you get a better price and support the forum. Steve
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Maverick ET-73 is great. I know several who use it. Of course, there are others.
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

This might sound like a really dumb question, but where do I find "Supporting Vendors"?

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

Don't answer that! Just went to the home page for the first time. Found the supporting vendors!

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

SmokyOkie Guest

I am a han of the Oregon Scientific AW-131. If you compare the construction of the other makes, I think you will see that the O.S is about twice as heavy duty.

The only reason I can see that anybody would like the Maverick is the temp range function of the pit probe.

Down side to the Maverick is:
    Very short wireless range
    Chintzy micro sized on off switches that break easily
    On off switches that require semi dis-assembly of the unit to operate
    No alarm to let you know it you are out of range
    a company that refuses to stand behind their product when it is defective

Maybe it was only the one that I had, but that was my experience.

When I sent it in to them, they sent me back someone else's broken unit and the tried to refuse to replace it. I had to put it into contest with my credit card company in order to get my money back.

If you order an OS on line, you also get a 10% or 15% discount if you use the Qjoint promo code.

[quote=SmokyOkie;11672]
    No alarm to let you know it you are out of range[quote]

I can agree on these as well.
    The broadcast unit switch is INSIDE the unit so you have to take off the back to get to it. DOH.

I like the Mav but might try an OS if I get another. I also have a Pyrex wired with one probe that give two readouts that I like as well. ($22)
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

In spite of the great praises of the Oregon Scientific, I'm not a big fan. I bought several of them, but I can only get a couple of them to work, and only occasionally. I should have taken them back right after I bought them.

So far, my favorite is the Pyrex. I've had great luck with them. They work every time.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

SmokyOkie Guest

[quote=flying illini;11701][quote=SmokyOkie;11672]
    No alarm to let you know it you are out of range

I can agree on these as well.
    The broadcast unit switch is INSIDE the unit so you have to take off the back to get to it. DOH.

I like the Mav but might try an OS if I get another. I also have a Pyrex wired with one probe that give two readouts that I like as well. ($22)
    What about the glaring lack of range, and the fasct that the switches are so tiny and delicate that yo need a microscope and forceps to operate them without breaking them.

Show us a pic to the contrary and I'll drop my case.

I really really wanted mine to be the deal because in theory, it would've been the perfect BBq thermo. Problem, they just did a chintzy job of putting it together. I'll stand on that.there is absolutely nothing put together well in the ET-73 I really wish I could say otherwise. If that were the case, I would still own one.

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    In spite of the great praises of the Oregon Scientific, I'm not a big fan. I bought several of them, but I can only get a couple of them to work, and only occasionally. I should have taken them back right after I bought them.

So far, my favorite is the Pyrex. I've had great luck with them. They work every time.
    As I recall Kev, the one you told me wouldn't work only needed reset cuz somebody insisted on turning the receiver before the transmitter.

Sounds like i need to check out the pyrex. Got a link?

Here is the one I speak highly of.

Click

I bought 12 OS thermos. I sold, or gave away, 8 of them. Of the ones I kept, I have one that works, and only sometimes. I have followed your instructions on how to fire 'em up, as well as the published instructions. I suppose I could still be doing something wrong.

I'm all ears!
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast