» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 94

0 members and 94 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got started late!

Got up at 4 to start the fire. Made a cup of coffee. Opened the door & got blinded by a bolt of lightning and the sky opened up! Oh well, at least I wasn't standing outside the door. Finally got the fire started around 5:45. Am gonna give a shot at my first butt, pork sirloin, and a JD fatty. Before anyone asks, there won't be any pictures on this round. My camera got left at a party last weekend and its a 3 hour drive each way. Have to wait for the mailman to get it here. I'm sure I'm gonna have a lot of questions about what I did wrong, but I figure this is the place to get the answers.
    The butt I injected with my own mixture of spices. The sirloin was pre marinated so that one I just have to cook. I know I like them in the oven so I figured if nothing else turned out, that would be good for dinner tonight. The fatty I stuffed with a cheese blend. Never had one before so I'm not sure what to expect.
    Am headed out to the local Target to try to get a remote thermometer. Was wondering if anyone could tell me about how long a fatty takes to cook. I used 2lbs of sausage. It didn't get in the smoker till about 7 so I know I have some time before it gets up to temp. Smoker is running around 245. Plan to take the butt and sirloin to 165 then foil.
    I do have a few questions for all the experienced smokers out there.
    When I foil the Butt, can I just cover the pan or will I do better to remove the butt from the pan? From what I have seen of the posts with pictures, it looks like most of you remove it from the pan.
    Do you save the juices to pour over the butt after you pull it?
    I will vacuum seal and excess that I have, so do you eliminate the juice before you seal it? I know from experience that sealing anything with liquid in the bag is a real pain.
    I know that a lot of these are basic questions to most of you. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Never Play Leapfrog With A Unicorn!
    David

Tejas 1628CC
    Charbroil Commercial Series Gas Grill
    Basic Black UDS

That fatty will take 21/2 hrs probably I take them to 170 internal, some guys go less. The butts I don't use a pan for, so they always get foiled out of a pan for me.
    When it gets to 195-200 internal, take it out of the smoker and set it in a cooler with a few old towels as insulation Leave it for an hr or 2 and then when ya open the foil, carefull pour out the juices into a clear cup or bowl, and set it in the freezer. After you have your pork pulled, take that juice out of the freezer and pull the top waxy cap off of it and use the darker jelly below it. Warm it in the micro, or I just toss chunks of the jelly in the warm meat, and toss it around and mix it up. Let it set covered and maybe in a warm oven until serving time. If you chill the left overs in the fridge before you vac seal, the juice tends to stick to the meat and not run into the machine as much.

The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Yama -- Hope all is well.
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

Thumbs up

Going quite well. Will also have pics that I didn't expect. Found out that the girlfriend has a digital camera too. Can only take 2 pics at a time because the memory card is almost full. (She will shoot me if I delete the pics of her mom & her in mexico last year! I know she can shoot. I helped drag the deer she got last year!!!) There won't be as many as I would like but have few so far. Will post after all is done.

The fatty and the sirloin are resting comfortably wrapped in foil in the microwave. (YES IT IS OFF!) The butt is wrapped in foil and reading 186.5 as of about 5 minutes ago. (About half way through this post.) Hoping it gets done soon as the thunder is back and there is a very large storm headed this way. (Girlfriend just pulled up and said they almost had to swim through it and carry the jeep!)

Oh well. Started the day with a storm, might as well finish with one. Ain't life grand! Looks like it will be here in about 2 minutes!

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

David, I know you would like to finish the butt in the proper way, by leaving it on the smoker, but if the weather doesn't cooperate just move it in and put it in a 250 oven (DID I USE THAT FOUR LETTER WORD). Just leave the thermo in and when it hits 200, wrap in towels and into the cooler to rest. It will come out fine. Good luck and am waiting on the finished shots. Steve
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Smile

No worries. Just pulled the butt off of the smoker & it is resting comfortably in the cooler wrapped up in a nice warm towel. Not sure but I think I heard purring as I closed the lid! (Just not sure if it was me or the butt!) The dogs are presently guarding the cooler! I think the only way I will get them away from it is to slice the fatty or the sirloin. The storm that blew through only lasted about 15 minutes or so, but not to worry, the butt kept the temp up on the smoker till it passed. (Dropped from 255 to 160!)
    Will pull the butt out about 6:30 this evening and get a finished pic as well as a group shot. The fatty looks great, the sirloin may be a bit over done, but if that is the worst that happens !!!

Have to say thanks to all of the old posts that I have been reading for the last week or so! I wouldn't have known where to start without them. Now the only thing I have to worry about is if the rub and the marinade I threw together were any good!
    Guess I'll let ya know in a couple of hours!

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

SmokyOkie Guest

What kind of sirloin are you cooking?

If it's not to your liking cooked to that temp, you might consider brisket or chuck next time. Sirloin is a fairly tight grained cut and doesn't lend itself well to being cooked well done and beyond. It also has a low internal fat content and will tend to get comparatively tight and dry if cooked much beyond 145.

Smile

Ok. Not sure how this is gonna work so don't shoot me if it doesn't! This is my first try at attaching pics. Will try to get it right but if you really want to screw up you need a computer! (Murphy's Law #628)

Pulled the butt out of the cooler around 6:45.

My rig. Smoking as you can see.

The fatty is on the left, the butt in the middle and the sirloin is next to the firebox.

This is the posse! The red and white thin in the lower left corner is the cooler holding the butt hostage! They ASSURE EVERYONE, NONE WILL ESCAPE ALIVE!!!

The days work!

First pull of my first butt.

After the last pull of my first butt.

My first fatty.

My first pork sirloin.

The sirloin was a bit dry on the outside as it went to 165+ about 70mins in foil. I think I will pull that a bit earlier next time.
    The fatty is good, but I think a bit more stuffing next time. Seems like I didn't put enough in.
    The shoulder is about as good as I could want. Spices might change from one place to another, but this pig is GOOD!

Looks like I will be working the vacuum sealer tomorrow!

Thanks to all that have posted so that I DIDN'T SCREW THIS UP!

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

Wink

By the way! Am gonna need a name for my smoker. The day we moved it I was calling her Bertha. (Only took 3 of us to get her in place on those stones!) She smokes well though as far as I can tell, so something better is required!

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Nothing has come to mind yet!

Later all,

I am grabbin a sammie, and layin back for the nite!

David

Tejas 1628CC
    Basic Black UDS

David, that all looks great! No need to worry about someone snatchin' your food. That posse would be all over them.

Great lookin' smoker. I'm trying to think of a name for her. I'll chime in if I come up with anything.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast